Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death record but no birth

Options
  • 22-01-2017 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I have a death record for a Mary Moran, she would be my great grandfathers sister, she dies age 12 in my familys hometown of Milltownpass, Westmeath. I can't for the life of me find a birth for her, she died 1905 so her birth would be c 1893. I did hear a rumour that her parents were actually in America and they had to move back with a sick child, I'm wondering if they gave birth to her in the US and brought her back and she died. The parents never went back to America after that, but I can't confirm this story 100%
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05645/4588717.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a Mary A. Moran of the right age, travelling from the US to Liverpool (possibly on the way home?) with a Catherine (her mother) and siblings John (8) and Martin (4) in August 1894. They were travelling from Boston.

If that sounds like her, PM me an email address and I will send you a screenshot of the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Her death record is for December 1903? which puts her birth at 1891. In the census of 1901 she is listed as living with her parents John and Kate and younger siblings Peter Patrick and Lizzie (the last two seem to be twins?)
    There is another family of Morans, including a Mary of the correct age, living in Piercetown, where all of the children of Patrick and Kate are born in America, but the death cert clearly gives her parents as John and Catherine and her residence as Milltownpass.
    In 1911 John and Catherine are at the same address, with the same children except for Mary, having had 6 children, 5 of whom are still living, and the youngest, aged 2, is Mary Kate. (It wouldnt have been uncommon to name a younger child after one who had died)
    I see a birth record for a Mary Moran in the Mullingar area for March 1891, parents John and Catherine, same occupation etc. Could that be her?

And Kates maiden name given as Cormack?? or McCormack. They seem to have married in 1888, in the Mullingar area, if thats the correct family.

Advertisement