Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student accommodation in Ranelagh/Rathmines

Options
  • 21-01-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Bogger question alert !
    Folks, it's 30 years since I went to college in UCD and everyone stayed in shared student rental houses in Ranelagh/Rathmines.
    Are these areas still full of student houses and what will I have to pay for my first child who's heading UCD way next Sept? Typical 3 or 4-person house?
    And yes, I could look on daft.ie etc but I'd only see what landlords want for available properties rather than what people are really actually paying.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ranelagh and Rathmines is prime rental area for professionals these days also. Your best bet for a first year is on campus accommodation, or something around the clonskeagh or stillorgan areas where demand may be slightly lower (but still intense). The prices on daft will be a good indication - if anything actual rental prices may be higher than the advertised rates due to competition, certainly not any lower in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OP, another factor to consider in the context of Public Transport is that Ranelagh and Rathmines are not that well served by Dublin Buses going to UCD. In fact the only Dublin Bus going to UCD from Rathmines is the infrequent 142.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks, but shur they can cycle ...tis only out the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I lived in Kimmage last year and WISHED I was in Rathmines. The 142 sometimes doesn't come on time, but it only takes 20 odd minutes when you're on it. Could easily be walked, so if you see a good deal in Rathmines, take it.

I used to take the 142 from the Kimmage cross roads (15 minute walk from where I lived and about an hour on the bus) and absolutely hated it. So I started getting a bus to Rathmines, then another to UCD. It always eventually came, which I found strange since it would miss the KCR completely sometimes. I figure this has something to do with Dublin bus reprioritising routes and not being bothered to re-use the 142 when it was so close to the other end of it's route (UCD) when it got to Rathmines.

Hope that's clear, if not I'll rephrase my message.

• Advertisement
Advertisement