Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best external hard drive for reliability

Options
  • 21-01-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I want to get a 2TB external hard drive as a secondary back up for pics/vids. I don't really care about speed or cost, just want to make sure I get the most reliable thing out there. I've been trawling reviews & studies for days & it's a minefield. Thought the good people of boards won't lead me astray!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tl;dr No external HDD is a one-stop back-up solution.

You're better off with external HDD + cloud-saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Disks are expected to fail. They're like tyres on your car, even a light driver will eventually wear em down.

External HDDs should only be used for caching/moving data. Buy a NAS and sign up for an offsite if you care about your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If cost isn't an option then consider getting an external SSD.
    Much more robust solution when considering an external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Yes, backup needs to be on at least 2 drives, ideally on and off site.
    You can get a couple of Synology NAS drives if you have another location to keep one and they will automatically back up to each other, or get one and connect it to a cloud service like amazon.

Advertisement