Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend new android phone

Options
  • 21-01-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have had 2 smartphones since they came out - the GS2 and the GS5 which I have now. Both were excellent. The GS5 is now getting a bit laggy. I have stopped upgrading the software as it bricked a previous device I had.

I am not into changing my phone every year and am not into listening music.

So what would people recommend especially on the galaxy range?
    I see contracts have now gone out to 24 months.

Should I just go with an GS6 as it is free and only €40 p/m. Or should I look at later spec options.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Well the s8 is out in a couple of months. I've got the s7 edge and I won't be upgrading this anytime soon. Amazing phone. Build quality, screen,power, camera, battery life. A near perfect phone in my opinion.

I see it is curved. How does that affect fitting in your pocket and putting a protective case on it?

Also does it have NFC for Android pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I don't want to pay more than €40 p/m on bill pay.

With this the S7 is €200.

I think the S6 is free.

To be honest I would keep my existing phone only it is beginning to lag a lot.

Hi

I have had 2 smartphones since they came out - the GS2 and the GS5 which I have now. Both were excellent. The GS5 is now getting a bit laggy. I have stopped upgrading the software as it bricked a previous device I had.

I am not into changing my phone every year and am not into listening music.

So what would people recommend especially on the galaxy range?
    I see contracts have now gone out to 24 months.

Should I just go with an GS6 as it is free and only €40 p/m. Or should I look at later spec options.

Thanks

What do you use your phone for? It sounds to me like you don't really use much of a what a smartphone has to offer, and you'd happily stay on the S5 if it wasn't for the lag. This leaves you with a few options:

- Factory reset your S5 - lag magically gone
    - Buy a more recent galaxy device second hand and go on Pay as you go.
    - Buy one of the many decent mid-range devices upfront (OP3 etc)

Of course, if you're specifically going for an upgrade, then you'd have to go for the S7. It's a lot better than the S6, and the S6 probably has it's days numbered as far as software support from Sammy goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd recommend any of the Samsung ones out now, J3, J5 and the S6 are good if sticking with Samsung. S7 if wanting a brand new one. Sony phones aren't bad. A lot depends on what you want from the phone. Are you on bill/pay as you go? If you fancy a change a lower model iphone maybe 5s/5se wouldn't be too bad. Depends on your budget aswell.

My issue with the samsung galaxy i've had the updates stopped don't know if it was down to wifi issue, phone issue or not enough memory/ram. Having trouble with it for a good while and battery gone very bad in it. Had to delete apps off it as some were crashing, messages not coming through via apps and ordinary text. Need to still reduce storage before changing to a new phone, had trouble transferring to another phone initially.

I'm confused as to how you could brick a phone i've heard it for iphones is it just updating software or resetting phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

starlit wrote: »
    I'd recommend any of the Samsung ones out now, J3, J5 and the S6 are good if sticking with Samsung. S7 if wanting a brand new one. Sony phones aren't bad. A lot depends on what you want from the phone. Are you on bill/pay as you go? If you fancy a change a lower model iphone maybe 5s/5se wouldn't be too bad. Depends on your budget aswell.

My issue with the samsung galaxy i've had the updates stopped don't know if it was down to wifi issue, phone issue or not enough memory/ram. Having trouble with it for a good while and battery gone very bad in it. Had to delete apps off it as some were crashing, messages not coming through via apps and ordinary text. Need to still reduce storage before changing to a new phone, had trouble transferring to another phone initially.

Does your samsung have an app called smart manager? This will tell you what space you have left etc. It can clear some space for you aswell. If not download ccleaner. Move all your pics/music to the cloud too if thats an option for you.

To reply to the op, as you don't want to upgrade again for another while I'd recommend buying sim free and going on a sim only plan. Plenty of options and they almost everytime work out cheaper than buying a phone with a plan.

Edit: Just seen your message above. If the S5 is lagging, back up your sms, pictures etc and do a factory reset, you will most likely see a world of difference and it'll be as quick as the day you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I deleted a few items off it like touchwiz. Smart manager I don't think it has. I can view how much space is on the phone alright though broken down for apps and images etc. Have backed up on google drive/google photos but had to uninstall and delete the apps taking up space! Its task manager i have. Only has android version 4.0.3.

Ya vodafone have an offer you pay 25e for 6 months and 35e for remaining 6 months. 12 month contract. Look into the sim free only plan as FrostyJim mentioned. Eir mobile has good offers aswell.

Looked at my Chrome tabs this evening and there were 91! Closed the lot of them and the phone seems much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Hi all. Anyone have any experience with a Samsung A3? Any good?

• Advertisement
Advertisement