Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with this grass?

Options
  • 20-01-2017 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

There are two areas of my garden colonized by this grass. I think the seeds blew in from a neighbour, rather than them being planted.

I don't think it has any redeeming quality and just looks ugly. It's about two feet tall with long arching flower/seed spikes I thought it would die back in Winter but not so or at least not completely. The photo of the flower was taken in July and the other photo taken yesterday.

Anyone know what it is or have any suggestions for removing it? I would prefer not to use weedkiller. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks like pendulous sedge/carex pendula. It is easy enough to dig or pull out. Just hack/dig away at the roots and persist. Might take a year or two but keep at it. It's not a huge pest but will spread if you don't tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Thanks. Looks like that alright. I will have a go at trying to hack some out tomorrow if the mild weather continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

leck wrote: »
    Thanks. Looks like that alright. I will have a go at trying to hack some out tomorrow if the mild weather continues.

"Got rid" of it more than ten years ago.
    Still finding germinated seedlings...
    But they are easy to pull up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've that planted in a bog garden because little else will tolerate the conditions - I know the name but the wrong name keeps coming to mind. Dig out the clumps and it will be removed easily. If the seeds are coming in from next door...keep mowing any new growths.

Advertisement