Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in the pharmaceutical sector when just graduated

Options
  • 20-01-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,

I wanted to have some advice regarding finding a job in the pharmaceutical sector. It's been few weeks that I am sending my cover letter and my resume to several companies or recruiters and each time I just receive the same answer : unfortunately, you don't have the required experience (usually the position requires 1 or 2 years experience). That's frustrating.

A bit of background though : I'm a Belgian just graduated with a MSc Degree in biochemistry and molecular biology. Even if my native language is French, I speak English with a pretty good level of proficiency as I have done an internship abroad. I moved in Dublin January the first (but I was already applying for a job few weeks before).

So my questions :

Where should I apply and for what kind of position ? I always try to find something as a QC Analyst or Microbiologist but so far, no positive answer...

Should I apply in another sectors (i.e. food industry) and I would be abble to shift to the pharmaceutical sector afterwards ?

I can't wait to finally start working and having a professional life but I don't know what's holding me back or maybe, I am not aware of something that I should do...

Any advice, guys ?

Cheers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Try to apply here:
    https://bms.taleo.net/careersection/ejs+external+career+site+w2fprofile+ques+v20090518/jobdetail.ftl?job=1605076 as they going to consider and graduates.
    Otherwise - you'll have have to start at production level and work your way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Are you determined to get a job only in Dublin? There's a lot of pharma companies in other parts of the country, for example in Galway there's a big population of Pharma companies, so it may be worth considering a different location in Ireland. This could expand your prospects and if nothing else, you'll save yourself a fortune on the cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

OP are you only interested in a lab job or the production side? If not, it can be difficult to get in the door without experience. A lot of non-manufacturing pharma in Ireland are smaller satellite offices that don't offer many graduate opportunities.

A better bet in this case might be to try the few CROs based in Dublin and Limerick who are more open to graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aliaclem

Thank you for your answers !

I already applied at BMS (via taleo) for different positions but I have this kind of messages :

Job Posting:Jan 6, 2017 – Job Number: 1605391
    Job Status: Accepting Job Submissions
    Submission Status: Completed – Updated: Jan 20, 2017

I don't know If I still have to expect an answer from BMS.

Regarding living in Dublin, I'm living here with my partner that has a job North Dublin, so unfortunately, I'm not very flexible and my job should be Dublin based...

Finally, you are totally right Sugar Free. I should have a look at all the CROs, but how do I do to find them ? Currently I'm looking for a job via Indeed, Irishjobs even LinkedIn. I try to have a look on the available positions on pharma websites as well.

I think I just have to wait and keep applying... But that drives me crazy !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Funmum05

Look into Quintiles, Icon and Parexel. I know they take in students who are still in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Funmum05 wrote: »
    Look into Quintiles, Icon and Parexel. I know they take in students who are still in college.

These are the CROs I was referring to :).
    Not sure how big a presence QuintilesIMS have anymore but the other two are always hiring. Not great to get to from the Northside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aliaclem

You are right guys, thank you for your help :)

I'm gonna sent my resume and my cover letter to those companies and ... Fingers crossed !

I hope to get something quite quickly, let's just keep on hunting !

Advertisement