Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 17inch i7 256gb ssd 16gb ram laptop.

Options
  • 20-01-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Hello, as the title above suggests this is what I'm looking for.

We've always had Toshibas in the family and never a problem.

Over 10 years ago I bought my current laptop Toshiba A100, I added 128gb ssd over 2 years ago. The screen flickers sometime. It runs fine but I think it's time for an upgrade.

I never game.

Email,browsing,music,photos and a bit of video editing that's it.

The laptop never moves.

Something that might go another 10 years, I'm very careful with my possessions.

I'm happy to pay €1000 +/-

Thanks in advance.

JD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

What about this one?

https://www.laptopshop.be/product/727461/category-179249/msi-gl72-6qd-214be-azerty.html

Is MSI a good brand? You might have to hit the translate button.

Thanks JD.

Looks like a gamers laptop. Does that make any difference?

Any points of view fellow Boardies???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Greenman wrote: »
    Any points of view fellow Boardies???

The initial specs you have listed are complete overkill for your usage unless you are doing some high-end video editing.
    If the laptop never moves and you are looking for a 17" screen why not go for a desktop? You get much more value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Greenman wrote: »
    Looks like a gamers laptop. Does that make any difference?

Only in so far as a huge chunk of the price is the graphics card, which makes no difference unless you're gaming.

Is there any particular reason you wouldn't consider a desktop if the laptop never moves? It'd be far, far cheaper for the same performance.

An all-in-one PC might work in this case either.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback.

Reason for laptop is I close the screen down when finished and it makes the room less cluttered. It sits on a table like this and the tabletop sits securely on the arm rest of the sofa.

Frosta%2B4-724663.JPG

Reason for overkill is I wanted something that might last another 10 years.

What about something on the lines of a NUC or Think Center with a big screen.

Questions questions but thanks for your input.

I never use the track pad I'm on cordless mouse and have a cordless keyboard not in use in a cabinet.

JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DELL Precision series - for example you'd get an M6800 in that spec on eBay within budget

Beast of a machine. Built like a tank and will last years. I have a smaller M4700 model here that's still like new nearly 5 years on.

if you're buying a laptop for the long term you may well need some of the new ports - usb type c / thunderbolt as many high-performance peripherals coming out in the future will use these. so I would look for a laptop with one of these ports. only thing about that is that only newer laptops have this.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/usb-type-c-thunderbolt-3-one-cable-to-connect-them-all/

apart from that I'd look for 8gb ram and a good screen - IPS type screen preferrred but IPS in that 17 inch size is expensive. TN panel is the more common screen. core i5 will do the job cpu wise although since you are going to be using it powered, don't limit yourself to the low volage u processors.

you'd get better value in the 15.6 size screen if that would be big enough for you.

re big screen e.g. tv etc. I don't think that it's that good for doing general tasks like email etc - a smaller screen like a laptop or monitor is better. it's just feels weird and if you're a distance away dealing with text etc is not great.

these small form pc's connected to a tv are more for media use.
    (or in the case of gaming ones for gaming)

e.g on dell outlet 15.6 inch screen ips, i5, 256gb ssd, 8gb ram. touch screen. convertible mode.

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&key=a1ObhLc4JJERlYkZJkuQ5rzfCb7oEVfzfgPFsgYnYH0%3d&puid=9af90f21

£466 incl vat.

(link will be dead if sold)

• Advertisement

Thanks glasso for all the info.

Still thinking things over.

Watched all the Laptop Cnet current videos.

Thanks again all.

JD.

PS Link dead.

here is the main uk outlet page

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2jMCw3trRAhVnCsAKHdGaBsMQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dell.com%2Flearn%2Fuk%2Fen%2Fukdfh1%2Fcampaigns%2Fsplitter&usg=AFQjCNErdmO5FgPlraPd6F3dw6Yk-J3dMw&sig2=4GcJUqwaXHGXL1OQVmUz3g
    you can pick home laptops or business laptops from there and sub-select with options on each page (e..g by screen size etc).

you get some great deals. in my experience "rerfurbished" or "scratch and dent" are pretty much brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Del007

glasso wrote: »
    here is the main uk outlet page

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2jMCw3trRAhVnCsAKHdGaBsMQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dell.com%2Flearn%2Fuk%2Fen%2Fukdfh1%2Fcampaigns%2Fsplitter&usg=AFQjCNErdmO5FgPlraPd6F3dw6Yk-J3dMw&sig2=4GcJUqwaXHGXL1OQVmUz3g
    you can pick home laptops or business laptops from there and sub-select with options on each page (e..g by screen size etc).

you get some great deals. in my experience "rerfurbished" or "scratch and dent" are pretty much brand new.

Do they deliver to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Interested to know how you get on, I purchased A Dell inspiron in the new year
    15.6 inch, i7, 512 ssd, 16gb ram 2 in 1 convertible @€;1000. On the 14th day the thing just seized up and developed a fault so its gone back and Dell are in the process of refunding me. My reasons for getting such a high spec were exactly the same as yours but after a week using it I said to myself I have totally went OTT with the spec here and overspent for my needs, so would agree with Mordeith ,spec for everyday normal use is overkill. I'm back on the search for something now myself. I don't know is it worthed to go 2 in 1 convertible. In the short time I had the laptop I didn't use touchscreen once. Speaking to someone who has a 2 in 1 for a while now and he never uses it .

codie wrote: »
    Interested to know how you get on, I purchased A Dell inspiron in the new year
    15.6 inch, i7, 512 ssd, 16gb ram 2 in 1 convertible @€;1000. On the 14th day the thing just seized up and developed a fault so its gone back and Dell are in the process of refunding me. My reasons for getting such a high spec were exactly the same as yours but after a week using it I said to myself I have totally went OTT with the spec here and overspent for my needs, so would agree with Mordeith ,spec for everyday normal use is overkill. I'm back on the search for something now myself. I don't know is it worthed to go 2 in 1 convertible. In the short time I had the laptop I didn't use touchscreen once. Speaking to someone who has a 2 in 1 for a while now and he never uses it .

Sorry for your troubles. I think I'm ready to purchase and I think I'll get this https://www.krefel.be/nl/multimedia/desktop-laptop-tablet/laptop/k756uq-t4180t_core_i7_2_7_ghz_1_tb_128_gb_ssd_grijs/PKEY_A5_B131_C887_41002058?gclid=CLj2w-3I79ECFfcW0wod-2cFFA from a bricks and mortar outfit.

Tell us how you get on.

JD.

PS I'll report back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Hello.
    Just an update, pulled the trigger and ordered this from a "Bricks and Mortar" place near my home. http://www.bells.be/index.php?page=showdetail&mode=&item=3670948&comefrompage=searchresults&cat1=1&cat2=2&cat3=5 Paid more than online but I wanted the personal service, face to face etc. If it goes wrong within the 2 years warranty I can bring it to them and they'll send it to Asus.

I'll pick it up next Friday, another reason I bought from a BnM shop was I wanted it in Windows English the last time I bought a mini Pc it started up in Dutch or French which I didn't want to happen this time.

Anyway thanks for the input.

I'll report back on how it goes.
    JD

Hello,
    Picked up laptop today.

Works great.

JD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    DELL Precision series - for example you'd get an M6800 in that spec on eBay within budget

Beast of a machine. Built like a tank and will last years. I have a smaller M4700 model here that's still like new nearly 5 years on.

Nice, looking at buying a laptop for a colleague and need something with an 8 thread CPU and at least 16gb ram. Had bought an ASUS laptop online last week but returned as faulty (battery not charging, power off immediately on removal of PSU even after overnight charge, checking replacing battery drivers etc). A refurbed Dell or HP mobile workstation from a seller with good rep looks like it could be worth a punt. Definitely won't be going for anything with an integrated battery again, too messy to fix.

Just pulled the trigger on a similar refurbed M6800 from the same seller on ebay yesterday after going through his reviews and chatting to him. Seems to know his stuff so looking forward to seeing how it works out, serious spec for the money on what I'm hoping will be a good workhorse. I'll stick up another post once I've had the kit and tried it out.

• Advertisement

M6800 laptop arrived today, well packaged, in great condition, fully charged and ready to use. Ideal piece of kit for my needs, well pleased, and would have no hesitation in recommending the seller.

Advertisement