Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL French

Options
  • 20-01-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Thinking of taking up French at ordinary level outside of school. Got a B in the JC, just wondering how much effort would be required to get a pass.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the B was at HL, then there's certainly an excellent chance. For 2018 though, yes?
    2017 is a little tight, but if it is 2017, make sure you tell your Exam Secretary soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

spurious wrote: »
    If the B was at HL, then there's certainly an excellent chance. For 2018 though, yes?
    2017 is a little tight, but if it is 2017, make sure you tell your Exam Secretary soon.

Yes, B was at HL and I'll be doing it in 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should be well able for OL. HL wouldn't be impossible with the time left.

spurious wrote: »
    You should be well able for OL. HL wouldn't be impossible with the time left.

Had considered it but just need a pass at OL for a couple of college courses I was looking at so think I'd rather focus on getting points in my other 7 and spend as little time as necessary on French.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Thinking of taking up French at ordinary level outside of school. Got a B in the JC, just wondering how much effort would be required to get a pass.

TBH, a lot of effort would not be required. You would definitely be able for the listening, first two comprehensions and the written section is the same. Question three/four require a lot of practice and understanding. Make sure that you have an oral copy with all the topics covered - I recommend 'le français oral' for the topics. Also it is advantageous to bring in a document - a photo/achievement etc. Bonne courage!!

• Advertisement

TBH, a lot of effort would not be required. You would definitely be able for the listening, first two comprehensions and the written section is the same. Question three/four require a lot of practice and understanding. Make sure that you have an oral copy with all the topics covered - I recommend 'le français oral' for the topics. Also it is advantageous to bring in a document - a photo/achievement etc. Bonne courage!!
    What is on question 3&4. Are they more reading comprehensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

sligolad1 wrote: »
    What is on question 3&4. Are they more reading comprehensions?

Yes more reading comprehensions but answering in French and an opinion/question to show understanding of the text for the last question. I think you would still be able to get good marks in them but it's important to know what the question is asking specifically - I always do the OL ones with my fifth years because it is a good foundation for higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

You'll probably learn french way faster and fluidly than anyone inside school if you care about it.
    The key is to listen to french people, discern what they're saying and translate. Once you understand it orally its pretty easy to bring that knowledge to paper with a bit of practice. Reading french will help on the silent words etc. And then the rest is exam Q's.

Advertisement