Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Windows no longer supported' message

• 20-01-2017 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

When I logon to the laptop the following message appears on my Yahoo homepage:
    "This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported."
    This has been popping up for approx a year but it doesn't affect my computer (btw I don't use Google).
    Do I need to take some action or will the laptop continue to work until it doesn't?? :)

Thanks,
    Logo

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Your laptop will continue to work, but it is extremely vulnerable to all kinds of attack. I wouldn't put personal details into an XP machine, like passwords or the like.

Most of the recommendations that you'll get on here are either to install a type of Linux, or to just upgrade your (now ancient) laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

the message is pretty straightforward, and means exactly what it says.

bit of blurb from microsoft below. But basically you are vulnerable to attack. however laptop should continue to function.

your options would be to

continue as you are, and accept the risk
    update existing machine,
    replace with newer machine that has OS preinstalled

from ms website with a couple of sections highlighted.

What is end of support?
    After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 10. Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities.
    Support for Office 2003 also ended on April 8, 2014GET SUPPORT
    What does this mean?
    It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer. PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected, and it is important that you migrate to a current supported operating system – such as Windows 10 – so you can receive regular security updates to protect their computer from malicious attacks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back up your files.
    Any machine that old will have an old hard drive and they are more prone to failure.

In theory you could upgrade to the latest version of windows, but for the cost of a legit upgrade license, you may be able to get a second hand windows 7 machine, ask around if anyone has an old unwanted machine that's newer than yours.

Even if you had to use XP because of drivers/old apps it should be as a virtual machine running on newer hardware. Then when it goes splat you just restore from the previous image.

Advertisement