Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Denied - Cannot access ebay.

Options
  • 19-01-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I recall seeing this issue before and that there was a workaround, but i do not know it.
    When i click on any ebay link, or if i try and manually enter ebay, i am greeted with this message:
    Access Denied
    You don't have permission to access "http://www.ebay.ie/" on this server.
    Reference #18.e459dd58.1484842610.177314af
    I have tried to circumvent it by going to community.ebay.ie and signing in, but that does not work.
    It happens on ebay.com, ebay.co.uk, ebay.de etc.. and is very frustrating.
    Does anyone know how i can access ebay? I can still view it on my phone or tablet, just not on my PC running Ubuntu.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Where is the warning coming from? At first glance it looks like you are going through a works server?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It sounds like an enterprise gateway but its actually firefox.
    Open the History Manager <Control><Shift> H.
    In the search bar, enter the name of the site.
    Right click on one of the listings and select Forget About This Site.
    This should remove all information, including any passwords / settings.

Corrupt cache, follow the above and you'll get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just tried a few things there.
    I am at home. Nothing out of the ordinary setup.

I have rebooted PC, Router and cleared history etc. Ran bleachbit anyway.
    I am running Firefox and Chrome is the same.

I have read a few other people having a similar problem
    https://goo.gl/oeSKv0

It looks like i have to contact ebay support if i want it fixed.
    That will not be happening anytime soon. I have no intentions of spending 30 minutes on the phone.

ED E wrote: »
    It sounds like an enterprise gateway but its actually firefox.
    Open the History Manager H.
    In the search bar, enter the name of the site.
    Right click on one of the listings and select Forget About This Site.
    This should remove all information, including any passwords / settings.

Corrupt cache, follow the above and you'll get it going.

Thanks, sorry i did not see your post before. I just tried that, and unfortunately it did not seem to make a difference. :(

Have you tried flushing your DNS cache? A reboot will have done that anyway. Also try a different DNS server I wonder if you are trying to connect to a server that ebay don't want you to use from your location and a different DNS server may give you a different server to connect to - just clutching at straws but there is some logic there.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    I have reset the router, upgraded it, and uninstalled Firefox and Chrome, ran Bleachbit and rebooted.
    Then i reinstalled them and still having the same problem.
    I read a few more links and it seems to be an ebay thing.. :confused:

I checked around the house, and every device on my WiFi is blocked from eBay, when you put a phone on to mobile data it can access them no problem.
    I went to a friends house and borrowed his router, tried it out on mine and the same problem. I can access all ebays with a proxy.

It seems that this problem started affecting people in December, and has gone on since then affecting people at random.
    https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Access-Denied-to-eBay/m-p/26329842#M23473
    It is a pain in the ass. I cannot access any ebay at all, and I was just about to buy two laptops on Germany ebay. :mad: 
    I am going to have to try it via a free vpn or something.

Finally, some answers. Ebay never replied to me.

http://downdetector.com/status/ebay

Have you tried Opera and used the built in free VPN. You can enable it from Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > tick box to enable VPN.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Have you tried Opera and used the built in free VPN. You can enable it from Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > tick box to enable VPN.
    No, stupidly i just removed it last week (I was doing a fresh install of 16.10) and meant to put it back. I never even thought of it.

Back working for me now. I just logged on without thinking an i can access ebay no problem.

Advertisement