Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stylus Replacement Advice/Recommendations

• 19-01-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭

I have recently decided to take my old (late 70's I think) turntable out of storage, give it a dusting down, and play my many LP's again.

The stylus currently in place on it is an Ortofon FF15 E MkII.

Should I opt for the same again, (spurious or otherwise), or what would be a suitable upgrade ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Don't know anything about that cartridge/stylus but there are a lot of threads on the Vinyl Engine site which should answer your question:- https://www.vinylengine.com/search_results.php?cx=partner-pub-3664363573068202%3A1180475004&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Ortofon+FF15+E+MkII&sa=Search&siteurl=www.vinylengine.com%2F&ref=www.google.ie%2F&ss=

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Rigsby wrote: »
    I have recently decided to take my old (late 70's I think) turntable out of storage, give it a dusting down, and play my many LP's again.

The stylus currently in place on it is an Ortofon FF15 E MkII.

Should I opt for the same again, (spurious or otherwise), or what would be a suitable upgrade ?

Thanks.

What turntable is it? The Ortofon is easily replaced at whatever price range you wish to go to - that one you mention would be €80 -100. It really all depends on budget and more importantly, what level that turntable is at. It must have been decent to warrant that cart in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    What turntable is it? The Ortofon is easily replaced at whatever price range you wish to go to - that one you mention would be €80 -100. It really all depends on budget and more importantly, what level that turntable is at. It must have been decent to warrant that cart in the first place.

I got the turntable in the late 70's ( JVC JL-A1). From my recent research it seems to be a .."reasonably good entry level model..". I changed the stylus a few times, and have always been happy with the sound from the system in general.

I suppose I have just answered my own question. If it's not broken, why fix it ? :)

I will probably go with the same stylus again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Rigsby wrote: »
    I got the turntable in the late 70's ( JVC JL-A1). From my recent research it seems to be a .."reasonably good entry level model..". I changed the stylus a few times, and have always been happy with the sound from the system in general.

I suppose I have just answered my own question. If it's not broken, why fix it ? :)

I will probably go with the same stylus again.

If you're happy to go online this website cropped up in conversation just a few days ago... http://www.stylusplus.co.uk/jvc-jla1-record-player-stylus-3250-p.asp

Advertisement