Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: using the F2000 (FTTH) Modem Router in Bridging mode for Asus router and VPN

Options
  • 19-01-2017 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

I currently have ADSL - and use a modem in bridging mode to feed an Asus RT-3200 router. The reasons are 1) Great Coverage 2) Router has VPN installed (openvpn) 3) High Speed internally.

I have just signed up to FTTH - due for install 16 Feb. I added the TV pack (but am not wedded to it as I have Freeview & Freesat)...and ASUS / VPN is my priority.

How can I continue to use my Asus and the VPN. Will TV pack be affected if I bridge ?

Has anybody used the F2000 in bridging mode or used a VPN on FTTH to an Asus with success? Any step by step guidelines ?

Regards

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

See this thread, firmware should be quite similar.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057691340

One of the Asus units definitely has ITPV support, IIRC the menu is buried in a subpage not in the WAN section. Set VLAN ten and ensure multicast traffic is allowed and the TV could work. Havent tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SeanDeng

Thanks for the info.
    I checked and my Asus RT-3200 - which is flashed with Asuswrt-Merlin 380.63 - does have a LAN - IPTV page of settings.
    Will IPTV work even throught the VPN ?
    Thx Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

Sean, did you figure out how to use your Asus to bypass EIR's device for FTTH?

I'm glad I found this discussion!

I went through the steps on boards.ie and a few other sources. But, I messed up something. After following the below steps, 1-2 devices got 500mbps+ internet, whereas the rest of my Wi-Fi devices had <1mbps internet. Web browsing was super fast on 1-2 devices and didn't work on smart speakers and other devices. The outcome surprised me. Maybe I did something wrong on the way.

I'm writing things down here. Could you please help me understand what are the steps involved?

Equipment:

1. EIR sagemon router F3000 Swan fibre box F5366s
    2. Asus Zenwifi ET12 (AXE11000)
    3. Huwaei ONT box

Steps I should do (and I did, approximately), in my understanding:

1. ONT output ethernet cable should become input to asus WAN port.
    2. asus settings: in WAN settings > internet connection tab> enable 802.1Q 'yes'.
    3. VLAN ID = 10
    4. 802.1P = 0. already was 0.
    5. MTU = 1500.
    6. No change to: WAN connection type is already 'automatic IP'. WAN, NAT, UPnP all enabled. connect to DNS server automatically. TTL value extend/spoof no. DHCP query frequency aggressive. host name blank. MAC address spoofing blank.
    7. This restarts the Asus router.
    8. Asus settings: in LAN settings > IPTV tab > select ISP profile = Manual Setting.
    9. Internet VID = 10. PRIO = 0.
    10. This restarts the Asus router.
    11. No other changes.
    12. No need to reboot ONT.

Other options I assume we do not do:

1. Not: Create a WAN profile in the WAN settings page -> internet connection tab. instead edit in the boxes directly.
    2. Not: edit the settings in LAN page -> VLAN tab.

Advertisement