Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 year old system upgrade - need advice

Options
  • 19-01-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've got a 1,300 sq foot 4 bed semi D. Built in 1999. Houses are noted for having poor quality plumbing. And insulation. And windows. And, well, you get the drift.

Anyway, firstly: Our gas boiler is on the way out with electrical board issues (the pump is always on whether there is gas coming through or not - only way to stop it is cut power. I've been advised this is wasteful but not dangerous).

So we basically need a new gas boiler.

Secondly, the water cistern in the hot press is the original (circa 1999/2000). Recently found out that the neighbours on both sides had major leaks from their ones. Beyond age, this has me thinking I should replace the cistern as well. I know ours had a significant leak in the past (the aftermath was present when we bought the house - I saw the leaking pipe under the hot press from below and saw where it was fixed before the ceiling was repaired).

Thirdly, the system never had any kind of zoning bar two valves in the bowels of the hot press that could be turned off to control downstairs/upstairs. I'd want a digital valves put in to allow centralised control. I'd also want some sort of modern thermostat that can be controlled remotely.

And finally, I'd want thermostatic valves fitted to nine rads.

My problem is - I've had two plumbers call and they recommended radically different solutions. One said a combi-boiler was a no brainer. Other pushed the more traditional solution.

Neither appeared enthused/across a smart thermostat.

I've had bad experiences before with half arsed jobs. So I guess I'm looking for some kind of trustworthy template for what a modern quality heating upgrade should look like.

Thanks v much,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Combis depend on the amount of hot water draw off points you have. Usually one bathroom or one shower.
    Zoning is hard to know without seeing your hotpress. There's loads of remote controls out now. I find eph have good wireless controls. You get your standard 3 channel timeclock but you can also control this from your Phone if you want to include zone temp.

Advertisement