Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog flap - house insurance implications?

Options
  • 19-01-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

We are considering installing a dog flap in the back door. Obviously this has the potential to be targeted by a burglar. Does anyone know if installing the dog flap would have any implications for house insurance?

I will have a number of deterrents such as an alarm and security lighting - but that doesn't really matter if the insurers would decline a claim because of the flap being present.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Declan1 wrote: »
    We are considering installing a dog flap in the back door. Obviously this has the potential to be targeted by a burglar. Does anyone know if installing the dog flap would have any implications for house insurance?

I will have a number of deterrents such as an alarm and security lighting - but that doesn't really matter if the insurers would decline a claim because of the flap being present.

Thanks.

How big is your dog? most normal adults wouldnt be ale to fit in through a dog flap

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

cocker5 wrote: »
    How big is your dog? most normal adults wouldnt be ale to fit in through a dog flap

He's fairly big but squeezes through tight spaces!

My concern is on the views of the insurance companies with respect to a claim... Wouldn't be impossible for a child to be sent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I'd ring my insurance company to be on the safe side.
    Perhaps they might be happy if you installed one that opens with a chip on the pets collar. This also stops other unwanted guests 2 & 4 footed.
    I've seen cctv videos on youtube of houses being burgled through the dog flap allright.

After a very long time on hold RSA came back and said it's ok so long as it's lockable from the inside.

Theft claims aren't covered unless there are signs of forced entry according to policy documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I have a dog flap designed for big cats or small dogs, I have it for a number of years and, tbh, it never occurred to me to check with insurance company! It would have to be a pretty small human to get in. I once tried to persuade my friend to shove her 4 year old through it when we got locked out - it wasn't even remotely possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I have a large dog flap that could easily fit a adult through, but i also have a metal partition that slides down on the inside to make it secure. I installed it myself and was shocked to see how flimsy the door really is, pic on inside and outside and foam in the centre. A good kick and you'd put your foot through it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Certain minorities use children to gain entry through windows or openings so be aware.

They then open a door or other window.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I had a dog flap in my old house that was just big enough for a Cocker... maybe small Springer-sized dog to fit through... maybe maximum 14" tall by 10" wide?
    On several occasions, having locked ourselves out, we dispatched a child of up to 8 years of age through it to unlock a door for us... not a bother on them. So, whilst the flap is a great asset in terms of access for the dog, it is certainly a weak spot in terms of home security, and as has been stated above, the "lockable" door that comes with them wouldn't withstand a moderate thump of a boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

DBB wrote: »
    The "lockable" door that comes with them wouldn't withstand a moderate thump of a boot.

That would be ok, the policy requires violent and/or forcible exit or entry to/from the premises so someone breaking the dog flap with a boot would mean your claim is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

DBB wrote: »
    wouldn't withstand a moderate thump of a boot.

If they are going to put a boot through your dog flap why not just do it through a window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

matrim wrote: »
    If they are going to put a boot through your dog flap why not just do it through a window

Less noise and lower down so more force can be applied.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

matrim wrote: »

Infinitely easier to break than a window, and nowhere near as noisy.

Thanks for all the replies. Will have to have a think about installing the dog flap. We have a weimaraner - he can squeeze through tight enough spaces but the nearest suitable sized flap is very big.

Advertisement