Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Holland and Germany.

Options
  • 19-01-2017 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭

What are peoples preferred routes to Northern Europe with a motorhome?
    Would you recommended Dublin - Holyhead and over to Harwich - Hook of Holland, or just go Rosslare - Cherbourg and head across France?
    Harwich ferry looks to be at least 280 sterling each way.
    We would hope to head towards Hamlin and then downwards to the wine growing regions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Would you recommended Dublin - Holyhead and over to Harwich - Hook of Holland, or just go Rosslare - Cherbourg and head across France?
    We would hope to head towards Hamlin and then downwards to the wine growing regions.

Did Harwich Hook of H many years ago heading to Sweden.

Route from HH to Harwich was not great though I assume there has been a big improvement since.

Did you consider going down to Dover? About 70 km farther but c 20 mins in estimated time.

Of course on the far side the difference is much more significant; 400 v 620 km and 4.5 hrs v 6.5 hrs.

Big plus is the 1.5 hr sea duration v 7 hr by day and 9.5 by night, if I recall correctly and the cost; I got a return with 1 other adult in camper for c €160 last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I did Amsterdam and then onto Munster in Germany and down to the Eifel national park a few years ago. We used the Channel Tunnel and while its a lot of driving its very quick. You can leave Dublin at 21:00 and be in France following morning at about 10:00 and up into Holland/Northern Germany by mid afternoon. Also went to Eastern France and into Black forest the same way and spent 10 days in Paris on a different occasion all using the tunnel.

If you can survive the driving on a few hours sleep then its ok but it depends on the individual. I never had to drive more than 30 mins to the ferry in Dublin so was fresh for the English leg.

I used to drive from Holyhead to somewhere north of London and sleep for a couple of hours and then head onto Folkestone.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I did Amsterdam and then onto Munster in Germany and down to the Eifel national park a few years ago. We used the Channel Tunnel and while its a lot of driving its very quick. You can leave Dublin at 21:00 and be in France following morning at about 10:00 and up into Holland/Northern Germany by mid afternoon. Also went to Eastern France and into Black forest the same way and spent 10 days in Paris on a different occasion all using the tunnel.

If you can survive the driving on a few hours sleep then its ok but it depends on the individual. I never had to drive more than 30 mins to the ferry in Dublin so was fresh for the English leg.

I used to drive from Holyhead to somewhere north of London and sleep for a couple of hours and then head onto Folkestone.

I agree.

I have done both Dover ferry and the tunnel but I had only a 20 min trip to Dublin Port. On the other hand I was a lone driver.

Stay on A55 M6 and go west on the M25 around London

Question is, how far from Dublin are you?

Do you have a second driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In Cavan, only 70 miles from Dublin, so Rosslare is another 80 miles. Other half doesn't drive manual gearboxes, but long drives dot bother me. Going to do some pricing!
    When you mention Dover, is that for a ferry crossing?

In Cavan, only 70 miles from Dublin, so Rosslare is another 80 miles. Other half doesn't drive manual gearboxes, but long drives dot bother me. Going to do some pricing!
    When you mention Dover, is that for a ferry crossing?

Dover - ferry
    Folkestone, about 20 km before Dover for Chunnel

Probably not much different price wise but you save maybe 30 min driving and you simply stay with the van on the train, saving having to lock it up and get up and down stairs etc - so more rest

Safe travelling You have stimulated interest in Germany see

100 Best Things to do in Germany
    https://www.jenreviews.com/best-things-to-do-in-germany/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have only been once, but loved the scenery,friendly people, hearty food ( how the fish do the French survive on crepes and a few frites?), manners on the road, cheap Weiss beer and small town festivals where they barbecue enough sausage to feed a thousand !

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

More info in a thread here Nekarsulm, when I was considering Driving a motorhome from Ireland to The Netherlands
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057638490

Advertisement