Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth buying a 40inch 4k HDR TV for gaming?

Options
  • 18-01-2017 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

The area I have for the TV will take a maximum, at a push, 40inch TV. This is my main gaming TV, hooked to a PS4 and Xbox One.

I have a good 32 inch 1080p Panasonic there at the moment and looking to get another TV for the bedroom. Was thinking of maybe moving the TV I have upstairs and buying a new 40 inch 4k for gaming

But is 40 inches too small to get the benefit of 4k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It comes down to how far away you'll be sitting from the tv. Measure it up and take a look at the table here. There's also a calculator you can input your distance and tv size into.

According to that site, to gain a decent benefit in picture quality from 4k over 1080p with a 40" monitor, you'd want to sit just under 3ft from the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not really, your consoles can't push 4k.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

4K isn't needed for gaming at the moment, unless you really want to spend the money. Consoles can't really do 4K at the moment, and you'd need a monster PC to get anywhere near stable framerate. A good full hd screen is more then enough for now.

Benefit of 4k is not a giant leap from 1080p no matter the screen size. What is though is HDR and that is supported on some games and video content current gen. Still not enough content to justify a new TV though at the moment imo.

I'm a console gamer who plays at a desk on a dual display pc on one side xbox on the other :D COuld never go back to a TV , haven't read up in recent months but have there been any moves on HDR pc displays? Unlikely I'd be willing to pay what they cost. Last I looked they were non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Benefit of 4k is not a giant leap from 1080p no matter the screen size. What is though is HDR and that is supported on some games and video content current gen. Still not enough content to justify a new TV though at the moment imo.

I'm a console gamer who plays at a desk on a dual display pc on one side xbox on the other :D COuld never go back to a TV , haven't read up in recent months but have there been any moves on HDR pc displays? Unlikely I'd be willing to pay what they cost. Last I looked they were non existent.

There were some HDR monitors at CES but they were aimed more at professionals rather than gamer's. The fact there are at least 4 different HDR formats which when added to the usual mix of monitor features like size, resolution, screen format and G/Free-sync, I think it will be a while before there is any sort of clear standard.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    There were some HDR monitors at CES but they were aimed more at professionals rather than gamer's. The fact there are at least 4 different HDR formats which when added to the usual mix of monitor features like size, resolution, screen format and G/Free-sync, I think it will be a while before there is any sort of clear standard.

Thats what I'm seeing now I've a mind to look :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I picked up a (non-HDR) 24" 4k IPS monitor a few months back. And even at that relatively small size there is a very noticeable improvement in games at 4K. The clarity, sharpness and overall picture quality are much better than 1080p. Ancillary factors like higher pixel density and being able to turn off AA play a part alongside the actual resolution hike.
    Video however....yeah it's better, but marginally and as you said content is sparse with a lot of the UHD Blurays out there essentially being fake upsamples rather than true 4K. Mostly for that you will be looking at Netflix own contemt and travel/nature videos on Youtube (which oddly enough of all the 4K video content seem to gain the most).

OP if you're buying a new screen get a 4K-HDR imho. It's not at the point right now where you need to replace a working setup for the immediate benefits but if you are getting a new one better off being ready for future content (and you will see some benefit currently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For PC gaming yes (though it would require a fairly monster PC), for current console gaming zero point really. '4K' is somewhat over-rated by people, often a very high-end 1080p panel can be the better option. It's become a buzzword really. I was buying a new TV about a year ago and initially I planned buying 4k but the TV I got for the money ended up being a 1080p set.

Now that's a generalization, but just don't convince yourself that you need 4K on the basis that 4k = better.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

if you have a PS4 Pro then get a 4k hdr tv,there are a few titles that take advantage of both features now but there wil be alot more going forward..

check out Digital foundry on youtube they have a load of videos on the hardware and the games

The size of the screen would depend on how far you are sitting from it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Even the standard PS4s can do HDR now on HDR enabled games so it's worth looking into even if you don't have a PS4Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

HDR is big no for me as it adds TONS of input lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Rob2D wrote: »
    HDR is big no for me as it adds TONS of input lag.

Only on certain sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The area I have for the TV will take a maximum, at a push, 40inch TV. This is my main gaming TV, hooked to a PS4 and Xbox One.

I have a good 32 inch 1080p Panasonic there at the moment and looking to get another TV for the bedroom. Was thinking of maybe moving the TV I have upstairs and buying a new 40 inch 4k for gaming

I have a 43" 4K tv and sit about 4 feet away and it looks great if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

if its just the standard ps4 and xbone,you wont get any 4k content gaming wise from them,hdr yes.. so may not be worth it unless you are considering trading up to the pro and the scorpio (when it comes out)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

bigphil2 wrote: »
    if its just the standard ps4 and xbone,you wont get any 4k content gaming wise from them,hdr yes.. so may not be worth it unless you are considering trading up to the pro and the scorpio (when it comes out)

PS4 Pro doesn't have native 4k either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PS4 Pro doesn't have native 4k either.

Not true,there are a few games that run native 4k on the pro. A lot of games use a dynamic resolution or just have an inbetween res but to say there are no native 4k games is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I decided to give the 4K HDR a miss. Just reckon I won't have the time for much gaming in a few months as we're expecting a baby so may not be upgrading to a Scorpio or PS4 Pro for a while, my existing consoles will be more than enough.

Thanks for all the comments, I'd probably only get the advantage of HDR on my PS4 and the 4K would be wasted.

I picked up a decent, handy 32inch 1080p Samsung for €230 in Currys for the bedroom, I'll keep my high spec Panny for gaming.

TV - http://www.currys.ie/Product/samsung-t32e310-32-led-tv/333826/397.0.4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

4k gaming is very much only starting - a few games can run at that resolution on console but not many. The PS4 Pro is nowhere near powerful enough for proper 4k gaming in all titles.

The PC can do proper 4k gaming but you have to throw money at it in order to do so. I have a GTX980ti running at 2k resolutions and it even struggles to maintain 60fps on that at times, when using 4k textures my frame rates go south of 30 in many cases. The GTX1080 does a good job of 4k but it's still not 4k @ 60fps in all new titles, perhaps next year's high end graphics cards will finally do 4k justice.

Advertisement