Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No help for depressed patients

Options
  • 18-01-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Suffering from depression for 20 +years. Been on many different medications, all of which cease to be effective eventually.
    Feeling very down since before Christmas. I attend a psychiatric out patients clinic every 6 weeks or so. Due again in 3 weeks time.
    Feeling so down lately that I attended my gp yesterday in the hope of changing medication but he said that only the psychiatrist can do this.
    I phoned the clinics number as they say after every visit to phone if I have any problems. Nurse who answered said they booked out but phone again to see if there is a cancellation.
    What does one do?
    I am not suicidal but I am fighting with everyone, crying all the time and would love to sleep for a few weeks and wake up feeling normal.
    I had to get signed off work yesterday for a few days.
    There is no help out there 😥

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi Noah, I sympathise with you but let me put this to you. There is hope and depression can be defeated.

Have a look at these threads: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564333
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009

My original GP put me on Anti-D's that appeared to make me worse. It got so bad even after asking him numerous times to change the meds that I ended up in hospital and thanks to some lovely Drs and Nurses I am better than I ever have been. I sat down and told them everything and told them I didnt thinks the meds suited me so they changed my meds and tinkered with dosages over the next couple of months until I felt right. Keep the chin up and one day you will be cloud free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Thank you so much for that. Great reading there. Makes me feel less alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Have you tried therapy? It's unlikely the psych will send you at this stage if not done so already!

Counselling with a good quality counsellor may help with some of your thoughts and feelings!!

Have you been given a "diagnosis?

I have had cbt with a wonderful counsellor twice and I found it fantastic. I'm am lost without her, it only lasted 8 weeks. My diagnosis is severe depression.

Hi Noah. Have you considered long term therapy? I've a feeling you might need on going support and not just 8 weeks.

• Advertisement

noah45 wrote: »
    I have had cbt with a wonderful counsellor twice and I found it fantastic. I'm am lost without her, it only lasted 8 weeks. My diagnosis is severe depression.

8 weeks is not really long enough for enduring difficulties,!!

Maybe look for another counsellor,

The cbt was offered free through the primary care centre. I can't afford to pay for private cbt. The woman that I went to was absolutely amazing.

There is free counselling out there, have a look

Also many therapists offer a sliding scale of fees for clients. It may be as low as €20 in some cases. The work is quite the commitment so it might mean giving something up in order to pay the fee. Best of luck to you :)

Thank you all, searched, found and booked appointment for affordable counselling for Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Good man. Good job everyone. I'm fairly certain you make a huge difference in peoples lives.

Unfortunately I make a difference for the worse. I fly off the handle and feel that nobody likes me, I certainly don't . I feel I have ruined my children's lives by being like this and fear they will hate me forever.

You're going to that cbt tomorrow?

Most definitely. Wish it was today. I am so greatful for this board. I lurk at lot. It makes me feel like I am not alone.

Mind if i send you a pm?

moneymad wrote: »
    Mind if i send you a pm?

No problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Folks, just keep in mind the section of the charter regarding private messages:
    penguin88 wrote: »
    2) Boards HQ has expressed serious concerns about offering to exchange private messages where the nature of such messages is that of counseling/support of distressed or vulnerable users. Posters are leaving themselves open to being hurt or involved in a situation they cannot manage. We understand that sending such messages can come from a place of care and concern but doing so can create a lot of stress for you. If you see offers of such PMs or receive a PM attempting to offer off-thread support, please report it.

If you have any queries about this or anything else in the charter, please contact one of the mods for clarification.

I wasn't aware of this. I'm certain my pm isn't anything to do with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

noah45 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I make a difference for the worse. I fly off the handle and feel that nobody likes me, I certainly don't . I feel I have ruined my children's lives by being like this and fear they will hate me forever.

Please! You are not doing this wilfully or through choice so no guilt. I have been through so much wrong guilt in my life and it is not fruitful!

Look after YOU; do things that you enjoy and find relaxing or fun, and remember this is winter and many with depression are affected by the loss of light. SAD they call it. Have a think if that fits? I go down in August until spring.

So glad you are getting help...

Advertisement