Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi dehumidifier

Options
  • 18-01-2017 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

https://www.aldi.ie/midi-dehumidifier/p/073856099104300

50 euro for a dehumidifier with decent specs.

• Brand: Easy Home
    • Capacity: 1.5L with auto switch-off when full
    • Colour: White, Black, Gunmetal Grey
    • Cord Length: 3.2 m
    • Dimensions: 20.5 x 12.5 x 35cm
    • Energy Consumption: 65wh
    • Extraction Rate: 16.7ml
    • Guarantee/Warranty: Free 3 year warranty
    • Maximum Room Size: 15m2
    • Power: 220 - 240 V
    • Product Type: Dehumidifier
    • Suitable Room Size: 10m2
    • Timer: No
    • Wattage: 65W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Bought one the weekend. Small bit of water collecting in tank but weird thing is we dry clothes in that room. I thought it would fill up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Looking at these and im thinking ud need to go up in power to see a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I bought a small 500ml dehumidifier from amazon a few weeks ago. I was amazed that it would fill up in three days or so in a bedroom.. so I def want to upgrade to a big one that will do downstairs of house.. leave in hall etc. Would love people's recommendations. The house I'm currently living in is pretty old, it doesn't feel crazy damp (the walls aren't wet or anything) but it would take ages to dry clothes even if the heat was on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Lunaarli wrote: »
    I bought a small 500ml dehumidifier from amazon a few weeks ago. I was amazed that it would fill up in three days or so in a bedroom.. so I def want to upgrade to a big one that will do downstairs of house.. leave in hall etc. Would love people's recommendations. The house I'm currently living in is pretty old, it doesn't feel crazy damp (the walls aren't wet or anything) but it would take ages to dry clothes even if the heat was on!

But two people sleeping in same room would give off moisture anyway and your dehumidifier would pull moisture out of air, if you have it on and have room vented by normal air vents the dehumidifier would pull moisture comin in from vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

mad m wrote: »
    But two people sleeping in same room would give off moisture anyway and your dehumidifier would pull moisture out of air, if you have it on and have room vented by normal air vents the dehumidifier would pull moisture comin in from vent.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Looks like a peltier dehumidifier the only way it will remove 400ml is at 32C and 80% humidity.

At room temperature and average humidity in an irish home probably more like 100ml.

To put that in perspective a single sleeping adult produces 100ml that through respiration / perspiration in 2 hours. Cooking and showering can produce that in a few minutes.

The only place that dehumidifier will be of any use is in a closed space with very little air change like a wardrobe or utility room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

The only place that dehumidifier will be of any use is in a closed space with very little air change like a wardrobe or utility room.

Would it be any use in a boxroom where there is a problem with dampness?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Would it be any use in a boxroom where there is a problem with dampness?

Dampness is different than condensation. Are you sure you are not getting ingress dampness from a faulty roof or gutter? Does box room have an air vent to allow fresh air in etc.

http://homestamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Damp_Leaflet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Lunaarli wrote: »

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. Has an automatic on/off feature when there is moisture in the air. Also has a clothes drying feature. We use it in winter when drying clothes inside. It still amazes me hoe much water it takes out of the air even overnight.
    https://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/meaco-dd8l.html

edit: It's a good bit more expensive now than when I bought one! But saying that, I really wouldnt be without it now in winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

zefer wrote: »
    I bought this one a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. Has an automatic on/off feature when there is moisture in the air. Also has a clothes drying feature. We use it in winter when drying clothes inside. It still amazes me hoe much water it takes out of the air even overnight.
    https://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/meaco-dd8l.html

edit: It's a good bit more expensive now than when I bought one! But saying that, I really wouldnt be without it now in winter time.

How long would it take for you to dry a load of washing with it out of curiosity? Been toying with the idea of buying one for a few weeks as we've no line outside only a clothes horse in the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

How long would it take for you to dry a load of washing with it out of curiosity? Been toying with the idea of buying one for a few weeks as we've no line outside only a clothes horse in the kitchen

Well obviously depends on heat in house as well but if for example, I put a full wash on clothes horse in the evening after work and put this on and the heat might be on for hour or 2, 90% of the clothes would be dry in the morning and more than likely the water tank in dehumidifier will be full when you get up.

It really depends on the room, what else is going on where it is plugged in, the heat etc. But i think it is a fantastic little piece of kit.

Meant to say, I've had one the cheap ones from aldi/lidl before and they aren't a patch on this

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

For what it's worth, I got a ~£170 ecoAir dehumidifier about 2.5 yrs ago. I consider it essential for cold damp Irish winters.

You can see it on Amazon at http://amzn.eu/6PgVlEt

I have no experience with the smaller ones. When the weather is 3'C or colder, I'll use it in the bathroom after the teens have had their umungously long power showers in the evening. I'll also use it on those cold mornings in our master bedroom to get rid of all the respiration moisture & condensation on windows. And I'll use it for drying 1~2 washloads of laundry on the clothes horses.

Having experienced the advantages of a dehumifier, I wouldn't be without one ever again (in Ireland!).

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I had a different Aldi one before but similar specs and it was rubbish. It made no noticeable difference in the room and 400ml over 24 hours just made it a noisy fan using up electricity all day.

I bought the same EcoAir model as sector_000 mentioned the last time it was on Bargain Alerts and it's one of my best ever purchases. I get better than what the amazon spec says. They say 7 litres per day but if I have a big wash over 2 or 3 clothes horses and set it to Laundry mode on the 6 hour timer it will fill the 2 litre tank and turn off in that time.

I don't use it for drying clothes often but it makes a huge difference in the bedrooms even on the lowest auto setting for a few hours every couple of days.

The aldi one is more suited to small spaces like a wardrobe or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I bought the Aldi euro149 dehumidifer a couple of months ago.
    It takes 5 litres out of the air about every 4-5 days, running an hour or two a day.
    Best of all, no mould growth this year on the window sill in the bedroom.

So I would go for the bigger one to achieve the required result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

kyeev wrote: »
    I bought the Aldi euro149 dehumidifer a couple of months ago.
    It takes 5 litres out of the air about every 4-5 days, running an hour or two a day.
    Best of all, no mould growth this year on the window sill in the bedroom.

So I would go for the bigger one to achieve the required result.
    i was under the impression to maximise results,these humidifiers had to run for 24 hours or so.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

They shut themselves down once they acheive the set humidity level.
    So you could leave it running all day if you wanted but it will start and stop.
    Most annoying at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

sector_000 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I got a ~£170 ecoAir dehumidifier about 2.5 yrs ago. I consider it essential for cold damp Irish winters.

You can see it on Amazon at http://amzn.eu/6PgVlEt

I have no experience with the smaller ones. When the weather is 3'C or colder, I'll use it in the bathroom after the teens have had their umungously long power showers in the evening. I'll also use it on those cold mornings in our master bedroom to get rid of all the respiration moisture & condensation on windows. And I'll use it for drying 1~2 washloads of laundry on the clothes horses.

Having experienced the advantages of a dehumifier, I wouldn't be without one ever again (in Ireland!).

Hope this helps.

Bought one of these as well... Has the added advantage of gently heating the room when on laundry mode. I believe, but dont understand, that this heat is a "free" bi product of the drying/dehumidifying process!

Advertisement