Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselor Friend Request

Options
  • 18-01-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I recently finished a 6 week series of counselling which went well. A few hours after my last session I received a FB friend request from the counselor. I found it quite odd tbh but I was wondering is this normal do people stay connected to their counselors? I got on well with her but in a purely professional setting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I would find that odd.

Keep it professional and dont accept.

Councelling is unregulated in Ireland and as such the level of professionalism and competance varies widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

He/she must be really bad with social media and thinks this a good way to boost their business. I doubt your former counsellor actually wants to be buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thats unprofessional. I would ignore it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Completely unprofessional and I'd ignore it. If it was a LinkedIn request that'd be OK but Facebook is just weird.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Absolutely unprofessional and it totally violates boundaries. It's completely inappropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is it a business account or their own page OP? They are not the same. However if they are looking for publicity all you need to do is like their page. I'd be inclined to ignore especially if it's her personal account...that's a massive overstep on her part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Faith wrote: »
    Absolutely unprofessional and it totally violates boundaries. It's completely inappropriate.

Agree. Any counsellor I ever heard of respects boundaries completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

This is the problem with the unregulated nature of counselling/therapy in Ireland. Anyone can do any mickey mouse uncertified course in counselling and call themselves a counsellor. The risk is that vulnerable people rely on such questionably qualified so called professionals. I'm not a counsellor or therapist and even I know that overstepping that boundary between client and counsellor by requesting Facebook friendship is an absolute no no as it is an unsolicited invasion of your personal life and could make a vulnerable client feel awkward, confused or under pressure to either accept or decline and could affect the dynamic of any potential future counselling between the two parties. Any such person worth their salt in that profession would surely know this already.

OP, I would decline the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank for all the replies!

It's her personal fb page definitely as she has members of her family on it and nothing work related. She works as a sole practitioner as part of group practice. Anyway I decided to delete the request.

Advertisement