Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

link between hypchondriasm and bipolar?

Options
  • 18-01-2017 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

perhaps its a bit of an ignorant question as i dont know an awful lot about the two.

are there any studies that show if a hypochondriac can be bipolar and vice versa? is there a link between the two? i don't think they are a million miles apart. was just reading a little about both this evening on Dr. google.

could anybody shed some light? thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Just did a search in medical databases. Nothing jumps out. Only 5 studies referencing bipolar AND hypochondria.

I would, however, be interested in your thoughts as to why bipolar disorder and hypochondria are linked, and how they're not a million miles apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

it really just started with a search in hypochondriac. there's a girl i know, and every day..and i mean EVERY DAY, she has some sort of ailment. she has a pain in her head, pain in her arm, pain in her hip. i mean, a pain everywhere. without going into an awful lot on info, i am convinced she is making it up. she pretends to limp when people are looking. so i just looked up hypochondriac, and i'm fairly convinced she is.

thing is, i think she is a socially anxious person.. i also think her root problem is something more severe than faking illness or convincing herself she is sick. i think she may suffer from depression due to her social anxiety which also leads to her hypochondriasm. and because her moods are up and down, i thought she may suffer from bi polar disorder. however hre moods are definitely more down than up.

i know one might think i am making a **** load of accusations and judgements and assumptions. but i really think this girl is suffering from something. i'm a little worried about her, but i dunno if i could broach the subject with her. we don't have a very close relationship like that.

gercoral wrote: »
    it really just started with a search in hypochondriac. there's a girl i know, and every day..and i mean EVERY DAY, she has some sort of ailment. she has a pain in her head, pain in her arm, pain in her hip. i mean, a pain everywhere. without going into an awful lot on info, i am convinced she is making it up. she pretends to limp when people are looking. so i just looked up hypochondriac, and i'm fairly convinced she is.

thing is, i think she is a socially anxious person.. i also think her root problem is something more severe than faking illness or convincing herself she is sick. i think she may suffer from depression due to her social anxiety which also leads to her hypochondriasm. and because her moods are up and down, i thought she may suffer from bi polar disorder. however hre moods are definitely more down than up.

i know one might think i am making a **** load of accusations and judgements and assumptions. but i really think this girl is suffering from something. i'm a little worried about her, but i dunno if i could broach the subject with her. we don't have a very close relationship like that.

Don't mention any of the above to this girl OP. You say you don't have a very close relationship so you really don't know what's going on with her. Perhaps she is getting help? Perhaps she suffers from a chronic pain condition? She may not suffer from depression or social anxiety.

There is a condition known as psychosomatic disorder. Simply put this is a manifestation of psychological difficulties in the body. So aches and pains may be a constant for example but again you really don't know. Tread carefully OP.

Don't mention any of the above to this girl OP. You say you don't have a very close relationship so you really don't know what's going on with her. Perhaps she is getting help? Perhaps she suffers from a chronic pain condition? She may not suffer from depression or social anxiety.

There is a condition known as psychosomatic disorder. Simply put this is a manifestation of psychological difficulties in the body. So aches and pains may be a constant for example but again you really don't know. Tread carefully OP.

i get what you're saying. i've known her for over 15 years, but in the last 10 years in a working environment. i can't give away too much information coz i know people in the same circle that are on this, but i honestly think she may be suffering from depression.
    when she is going out with a lad, she is fine. she is as happy as larry. but i've noticed when the relationship breaks down (3 in the last 9 months), she tends to retreat into herself. i want to help her. she is in a constant state of negativity. according to her, the whole world is against her. but its not.
    \anyways, i didn't want to go into too much personal information about this person. the premise of my OP was to see if anyone knew of a possible link between bi polar and hypochondriasm..but thanks for your reply persepoly. everyting noted. i get what you're saying

also, i had never heard of psychosomatic disorder. every day is a school day, much appreciated. a quick google...yes it very much reminds me of the person i mentioned in the previous posts.

thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I agree with you.entirely.

However I also feel in Ireland we have entered a time where everyone is afraid of psychiatric disease or depression , everyone if afraid of offending or upsetting someone who who has depression in case something might happen.

And this leads us into being unable to just call / name things as they are.

You've known this girl a long time then. Ok you could try this "I hope you don't feel I'm over stepping the mark here, it's just that I've noticed you seem a bit down lately and I wonder if you're ok"?

Hypochondriasm can be found alongside clinical depression and generalised anxiety disorder. I don't have the research to back that statement up mind, only experience. I must have a google.

Wesser wrote: »
    I agree with you.entirely.

However I also feel in Ireland we have entered a time where everyone is afraid of psychiatric disease or depression , everyone if afraid of offending or upsetting someone who who has depression in case something might happen.

And this leads us into being unable to just call / name things as they are.

You have a point there and it's something I've been wondering about myself. It's a hard one to call. More and more I find there is a tendency to wrap mental health issues in cotton wool. It's very dependent upon the person I think. Sometimes you need to tread carefully and slowly, other times being more direct is what's needed.

We don't know the OP's friend. She may be someone who needs a gentler hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

......, i am convinced she is making it up. she pretends to limp when people are looking. so i just looked up hypochondriac, and i'm fairly convinced she is.

thing is, i think she is a socially anxious person.. i also think her root problem is something more severe than faking illness or convincing herself she is sick. i think she may suffer from depression due to her social anxiety which also leads to her hypochondriasm. and because her moods are up and down, i thought she may suffer from bi polar disorder. however hre moods are definitely more down than up............

That reads like some watery version of munchausen syndrome by proxy you have going on

gctest50 wrote: »
    That reads like some watery version of munchausen syndrome by proxy you have going on

Munchausen's. Now that's a strange one.

• Advertisement

We don't know the OP's friend. She may be someone who needs a gentler hand.
    ^^ this, for sure. unfortunately, she's a little sensitive. she gets offended very easily. she doesnt take criticism very well, or if the boss says something to her she takes it to heart and lets it fester on her. :(

^^ this, for sure. unfortunately, she's a little sensitive. she gets offended very easily. she doesnt take criticism very well, or if the boss says something to her she takes it to heart and lets it fester on her. :(

Then just ask if she's ok and that you're there if she needs to talk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Munchausen's. Now that's a strange one.

Munchausen-by-proxy is stranger still - where you have someone making out someone else has all sorts wrong with them.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Munchausen-by-proxy is stranger still - where you have someone making out someone else has all sorts wrong with them.

Oh know it. I've read of cases where the parent puts their child through all sorts of different medical procedures and surgeries. It's really very sad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

This forum isn't the place for armchair psychoanalysis/diagnosis, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement