Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero Waste

Options
  • 18-01-2017 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Is there a thread anywhere on Boards about working towards zero waste at home? I find Boards really awkward to navigate! I'm also looking for an Irish Facebook page along the same lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some info. here

http://voiceireland.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I remember reading about a family in Dublin who tried to do this, about ten or fifteen years ago.
    Sorry, can't recall names or where it was.
    I think they were pretty careful about buying stuff - didn't bring packaging home, etc - and they did get very close to Absolute Zero:
    but mainly I remember, they said the final snag was that they produced so much compost they couldn't use it up, and the public parks wouldn't take it!

I am a lunatic recycler and passionate composter but some things are nearly impossible to get rid of except by landfill...coal ash, compound materials, some furniture.

I love your idea of a thread Towards Zero Waste, OP - let's do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

elperello wrote: »

Thanks, I watched a different episode of Eco Eye the other evening and Duncan visited a lady with a young baby who was reducing the families waste and was VERY effective at it. He said she was part of a Facebook group. I had a look at Facebook but couldn't find the right one. Any ideas?

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I remember reading about a family in Dublin who tried to do this, about ten or fifteen years ago.
    Sorry, can't recall names or where it was.
    I think they were pretty careful about buying stuff - didn't bring packaging home, etc - and they did get very close to Absolute Zero:
    but mainly I remember, they said the final snag was that they produced so much compost they couldn't use it up, and the public parks wouldn't take it!

I am a lunatic recycler and passionate composter but some things are nearly impossible to get rid of except by landfill...coal ash, compound materials, some furniture.

I love your idea of a thread Towards Zero Waste, OP - let's do this!

Mo problem! I'm not sure howto start a thread though...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

happyday wrote: »
    Is there a thread anywhere on Boards about working towards zero waste at home? I find Boards really awkward to navigate! I'm also looking for an Irish Facebook page along the same lines.

Search "zero waste" (with inverted commas).

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=%22zero+waste%22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks, I watched a different episode of Eco Eye the other evening and Duncan visited a lady with a young baby who was reducing the families waste and was VERY effective at it. He said she was part of a Facebook group. I had a look at Facebook but couldn't find the right one. Any ideas?

Yeah, that was on yesterday. I accidentally recorded it instead of the news. She got her black bin waste down to about 2 grams in a 2 month period.

It was bout not buying anything with packaging. She bought usually only fruit at the supermarket. Bread at bakery and meat at butchers. She used all her own bags and containers.

I couldn't do it. I recycle and all, but I have 5 kids and less time to do what that woman was doing.

elperello wrote: »

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Are you in the group yourself?

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah, that was on yesterday. I accidentally recorded it instead of the news. She got her black bin waste down to about 2 grams in a 2 month period.

It was bout not buying anything with packaging. She bought usually only fruit at the supermarket. Bread at bakery and meat at butchers. She used all her own bags and containers.

I couldn't do it. I recycle and all, but I have 5 kids and less time to do what that woman was doing.

She seemed very dedicated to it alright but I think we can all reduce the amount of packaging we use and it's a great thing to get our children thinking about to make their future better. Sorry if that sounds a little preachy!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Are you in the group yourself?

You are welcome.
    I'm not in that group but have been trying to find ways to reduce waste for years. Still learning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

How is the OP getting on with zero waste? I'm not on facebook so I can't see that group, would like to see how people are getting on with it.

How is the OP getting on with zero waste? I'm not on facebook so I can't see that group, would like to see how people are getting on with it.

I'm on the Facebook group now and its interesting to see how well people are doing and to get advice and tips on how to cut down on waste. I'm very far from zero waste myself but I do try to avoid packaging and using plastic as much as possible.

How is everyone else doing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Is there any other Irish zero waste forum apart from the one on Facebook? I left Facebook a while back and have no interest to sign up again.

Not that I know of. Sorry.

Advertisement