Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Airshow 2017

Options
  • 17-01-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just announced on their Facebook page that there's big news coming this evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just back from the display today. Pretty good all in all with a nice mix of propeller & jet aircraft, and the weather kept up too...

However, one thing really annoyed me and that was the Tannoy system (which was crap) with a capital C. We were only about thirty feet away from a pair of Tannoys and we had no idea what the announcer was saying ' all very muffled'.

Apart from that the planes were great :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

LordSutch wrote: »
    Just back from the display today. Pretty good all in all with a nice mix of propeller & jet aircraft, and the weather kept up too...

However, one thing really annoyed me and that was the Tannoy system (which was crap) with a capital C. We were only about thirty feet away from a pair of Tannoys and we had no idea what the announcer was saying ' all very muffled'.

Apart from that the planes were great :-)

Same last year with crap sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

When you have sounds like the Saab Viggen to entertain you, who needs commentary?

Funny thought: For a country that is so eco friendly, and whose car company is phasing out internal combustion, I love how for international air displays they send a kerosene powered noise machine.

When you have sounds like the Saab Viggen to entertain you, who needs commentary?

That Saab is s beast, when its high up in the sky it looks like one mini delta wing aircraft stuck onto the front of another delta wing!

Did I miss the Spitfire yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That Saab is s beast, when its high up in the sky it looks like one mini delta wing aircraft stuck onto the front of another delta wing!

Did I miss the Spitfire yesterday?

The Spitfires returned to Weston without displaying, after ATC informed them that they would have to hold for up to 30 minutes before their slot. I think the show was running well behind schedule at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Funny thought: For a country that is so eco friendly, and whose car company is phasing out internal combustion, I love how for international air displays they send a kerosene powered noise machine.

Saab as a car Marque is gone. Were you referring to Volvo?

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Automobile
    On June 21, 2016, NEVS announced they will no longer use the Saab trademark, instead using their company name on its car, which will still be based on the Saab 9-3 platform. The first NEVS car will go into production in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Saab as a car Marque is gone. Were you referring to Volvo?

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Automobile

I was indeed referring to Volvo, and their plans to go EV/hybrid.

(I also know Volvo are now Chinese, but they're Swedish at heart)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

Link to ATC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

[IMG][/img]35723452330_f24a7d109b_k.jpgDSCN0432 by pat, on Flickr

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]35306269353_e9727fd8af_k.jpgDSCN0636 by pat, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

We went again this year. Great day again (sunday), but was not as good as last year imo.
    Really missed the likes of The Frecce Tricolori & The Red Arrows.
    just felt a bit meh.

[IMG][/img]35725525230_781f06042e_k.jpgDSCN0290 by pat, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]35276222734_920691811b_k.jpgDSCN0153 by pat, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

35946334152_a6cf314a73.jpgEI-CPG by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

36073713236_23340f6bdc.jpgStar of the Show by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35306655623_b9b9d877c5.jpgC.15-18 / 15-05 by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35945567392_b0467681ee.jpgC.15-18 / 15-05 by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35983807671_c314529b47.jpg18-Red / N104CJ by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

When did the Mig show up? One thing I missed :(

35948765072_b5c1751ed1.jpgFast Pass by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

15:10 is the time stamp on the Mig

Kenny2012 wrote: »
    15:10 is the time stamp on the Mig

Ah yeah makes sense, I only made my way in as the Airbus was doing its thing nearer 4pm.

• Advertisement

I saw the Mig on Saturday, wonder did they fly the same planes on both days? Loved the flying boat too, just like a giant bus with wings. I Missed the Spitfire & mustang.

Would love to see a Typhoon next year + an F35-Lightening II hovering over the sea ...

35310016043_f780eb7d9e.jpgG-EWIZ by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

I saw the Mig on Saturday, wonder did they fly the same planes on both days? Loved the flying boat too, just like a giant bus with wings. I Missed the Spitfire & mustang.

Would love to see a Typhoon next year + an F35-Lightening II hovering over the sea ...

I'm pretty sure the F-18 didn't do anything yesterday at Bray, don't know otherwise.

I'm pretty sure the F-18 didn't do anything yesterday at Bray, don't know otherwise.
    F-18 only did Foynes on Saturday.

35727937160_0fb0a9267e.jpg253 by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think the F35 is a non runner but a Typhoon display for 2018 could well happen.

I was once on a beachfront at a show, with a Sea Harrier hovering close to us. Amazing feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Tenger wrote: »
    I think the F35 is a non runner but a Typhoon display for 2018 could well happen.

I was once on a beachfront at a show, with a Sea Harrier hovering close to us. Amazing feeling.

There was a Harrier at Salthill one year put on great display

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tesla had the Model S and X on display next to the viewing stage. I was stoked by those beasts too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Anyone know why Aer Lingus was the only airline to participate? Previous shows had Ryanair, cityjet and/or stobart...

Advertisement