Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot press.

• 17-01-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

My query relates to Rule 555.6 in ET101:2008/A2:2016 - this states that "This clause applies to electrical equipment installed in a domestic-type airing cupboard containing a hot-water tank. It does not apply to airing rooms and similar areas that permit access by persons."

Specifically I am looking for people's views on when a hot press is an "airing cupboard" and when a hot press is an "airing room", and therefore when the specific provisions of the Wiring Rules apply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Imo if I can walk in some how its a airing room.
    If it's a large door and I can't walk in I would class it as a cupboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

An airing cupboard can be of walk in by definition of its very word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

An airing cupboard can be of walk in by definition of its very word.
    I'm afraid it's not entirely clear to me what you are suggesting.

Look up the definition of cupboard, it can be a walk in.

Look up the definition of cupboard, it can be a walk in.
    OK. So when do you propose that a hot press is a "cupboard" and when do you propose that it's a "room"?

• Advertisement

I don't propose it any time, the dictionary or the volunteers who write the regs needs to clarify this. It's a grey area in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I thought Catholics had a hot press and protestants had an airing cupboard?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I thought Catholics had a hot press and protestants had an airing cupboard?
    LOL. Probably. But the issue is that a hot press according to the Wiring Rules can seemingly be either an "airing cupboard" or an "airing room". This has a direct effect on whether certain provisions of the Rules apply to the hot press.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    OK. So when do you propose that a hot press is a "cupboard" and when do you propose that it's a "room"?

One man's "room" could be another's "cupboard".
    If you feel that it is not black and white in a particular installation my advice would be to comply with the most onerous regulations. That way you are covered.

I remember being surprised by defenitions before. There was some lighting along the footpath at the edge of the main road into a town. This lightning was fed from the clients installation. Both the lighting and footpath were a planning condition for the clients new building. In my view the ETCI's code of practice for public lighting should have applied. A "heated debate" ensued. However the ETCI stated that in their view this was not public lighting (despite the fact that it was a public footpath) :confused:

Go figure....

2011 wrote: »

One man's "room" could be another's "cupboard".
    If you feel that it is not black and white in a particular installation my advice would be to comply with the most onerous regulations. That way you are covered.
    Many thanks for your reply. Actually, in the installation in question I think it would almost certainly qualify as a "room" as opposed to a "cupboard" for the purposes of the Wiring Rules. However, it did get me wondering about where the precise demarcation lies between these two concepts.

It also had be wondering on the logic of disallowing most electrical equipment in a cupboard-based hot press but allowing it in a room-based hot press. In this instance the client wants lights in the hot press which seems fair enough, but then he also wants a socket outlet in it which seems a bit bizarre and I'm not sure that this is actually precluded in these circumstances assuming that it is suitable for the environment.

If you have any further thoughts then please feel free to share them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It also had be wondering on the logic of disallowing most electrical equipment in a cupboard-based hot press but allowing it in a room-based hot press.

In my opinion there is a increased fire risk from appliances / wiring with a "cupboard-based hot press" than a "room-based hot press".

Examples:

1) Someone plugs a laptop or phone into a socket in the hot press and clothes get piled on top.

2) An electric heater gets plugged into the hot press to dry clothes quicker and it gets forgotten about.

I wired a very large expensive house many moons ago. About 3m from the house was a separate double garage building, this was to become the hot press. I treated this "hot press" as a "plant room" and wired it accordingly. I felt that I could defend this position as it contained the following "plant room" equipment:

- All of the normal stuff that would be in a hot press. This includes the hot water cylinder, zone valves, pipe stats, etc....

- Geothermal heat pump.

- Circulation pumps, controls and pipework for the solar panels and the above.

- A 10 kVA standby generator.

- A distribution board supplying about 10 double sockets, 6 internal lights, 3 external lights several spur outlets for bits and bobs and controls / circuits for garden lights.

- A 110 VAC transformer feeding 2 no. 110VAC socket circuits.

- 3 hour emergency light (over the generator).

- Satellite amplifiers and related equipment

- Intruder alarm.

I was very careful about where I positioned / located electrical equipment in terms of mechanical protection, water, safety, accessibility maintenance etc....

In this instance the client wants lights in the hot press which seems fair enough

Yeah, just pick a light that runs cold and can cope with clothes being packed around it.
    but then he also wants a socket outlet in it which seems a bit bizarre and I'm not sure that this is actually precluded in these circumstances assuming that it is suitable for the environment.

This would concern me for the reasons stated above, people do daft things without thinking them through.

Ask him if you can install it in the hall local to the hot press?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

That plant room has more gear in it than my entire house😀.I thought I had it made when I put a vise & 2hp air compressor in the shed. A man can always dream I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭slystallone

Anyone know the function of this thing in my hot press?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Looks like water filter, likely installed on mains IN, perhaps from water well, but could be for any link

Anyone know if this pump is needed in the hot press. Speaking as a complete rookie, but could it be placed outside the house somewhere on the pipe on the way into the house?

Just to clean out any potential particles is it?

That is the purpose, replaceable cartridges

Pump is shower pump, creates water pressure on your taps, common even on single floor properties.

Depends on model it can only pump up to certain distance/height so cant go to far. Also should not be out in frost environment. Also, further distance/cold room - more loss on hot water, so pipework needs good insulation

all brands nearly the same procedure, but cartridges might differ/wont fit - you have to get the right brand and size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJBN-3ibyc&t=7s

Anyone know what this dial might be for in my hot press?

• Advertisement

Termostat, activates/deactivates whatever its disigned to activate/deactivate.

Do you have solid fuel burner? - this could be set to activate circulation pump once temperature raeches ...~40°C at this location

Yes have a solid fuel stove with back boiler and an oil burner.So its measuring the temperature of the pipe correct?

Correct, this thermostat is measuring temperature on the pipe

Advertisement