Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revision Books for Leaving Cert

Options
  • 17-01-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm currently in 6th year, and on the lookout for good revision books for some of my subjects.

Economics: I haven't been able to find any for Economics except for Less Stress (which I feel is pretty poor). I know Folens had Rapid Revision Economics but according to them, this has been discontinued (which is a pity because I've heard it was very good - if anyone has a copy let me know please!)

English: I have absolutely no idea where to start with English revision books. I'm studying Hamlet, The King's Speech, Song of Achilles and A Doll's House. Suggestions and opinions badly needed.

Physics: I have a few for Physics, but I'm undecided on which one to use. I have spotted ExamEdge Physics online by Folens but I'd love someone's opinion. I have also been looking at a new one by Educate.ie called Revision Works Physics but I don't know anyone who has used it, so I'd really appreciate some more info on it if anyone has used it!

Music: I'm doing Set A and currently have Revise Wise but I'm not sure it's the best...

Maths: SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED

All my subjects are HL (I'm doing 8 in total but these are the ones I need some guidance with, in regards to revision books. All suggestions regarding revision books of any sort would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'm currently in 6th year, and on the lookout for good revision books for some of my subjects.

Economics: I haven't been able to find any for Economics except for Less Stress (which I feel is pretty poor). I know Folens had Rapid Revision Economics but according to them, this has been discontinued (which is a pity because I've heard it was very good - if anyone has a copy let me know please!)

English: I have absolutely no idea where to start with English revision books. I'm studying Hamlet, The King's Speech, Song of Achilles and A Doll's House. Suggestions and opinions badly needed.

Physics: I have a few for Physics, but I'm undecided on which one to use. I have spotted ExamEdge Physics online by Folens but I'd love someone's opinion. I have also been looking at a new one by Educate.ie called Revision Works Physics but I don't know anyone who has used it, so I'd really appreciate some more info on it if anyone has used it!

Music: I'm doing Set A and currently have Revised Wise but I'm not sure it's the best...

Maths: SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED

All my subjects are HL (I'm doing 8 in total but these are the ones I need some guidance with, in regards to revision books. All suggestions regarding revision books of any sort would be greatly appreciated!

Back when I did the LC (2009), I used Tony Lake - Key notes for English. My teacher at the time wasn't great and this book only covered one of the comparatives that I was actually doing. I think the teacher was doing The Plough and the Stars, Philadelphia, Here I Come and Strictly Ballroom.

Tony Lake covered Phili, My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories and Cinema Paradiso. So I'd read Phili and I borrowed Cinema Paradiso from a friend to watch it. I never read the novel but because Lake's notes were so comprehensive it was like I had. A few more of my class basically studied thelse notes for the comparative and because we were all motivated enough to deviate from the teacher, we were motivated enough to make that work for us. I saw my script after and I hadn't fallen down in the comparative at all and I got an A2 overall.

I can't remember if he covered poetry or Shakespeare in the book too because I had good notes myself but check it out.

Less Stress More Success was good for Chemistry so might suit for Physics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Less Stress More Success was good for Chemistry so might suit for Physics too.

Don't waste your money on Less Stress More Success Physics. The layout is terrible and entire chapters (e.g. SHM) are 'covered' in about six lines with lots of important material completely left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

VG31 wrote: »
    Don't waste your money on Less Stress More Success Physics. The layout is terrible and entire chapters (e.g. SHM) are 'covered' in about six lines with lots of important material completely left out.

That's fair enough. Just giving my point of view. Found the other less stress books to be worthless but I found it handy for chemistry for the very reason you mention - not in depth, just almost trigger points. That was the way I could retain info. Remember small points and I could flesh out everything else from them. So the less stress book was a good guide for that type of study. Fully agree it's ****e if you need it as some sort of supplement to the text book/teacher's notes to enhance the info but I found it great for revision of chemistry, in case anyone else apart from the OP had the same question and is studying chemistry.

Then, everyone studies in a different way and even different subjects you will study differently. Trying to find revision books to suit your needs will be an exercise in trial and error I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    That's fair enough. Just giving my point of view. Found the other less stress books to be worthless but I found it handy for chemistry for the very reason you mention - not in depth, just almost trigger points. That was the way I could retain info. Remember small points and I could flesh out everything else from them.

I understand what you mean, but the physics book isn't even like that. The information they give you is very badly put and often the key points are missing for each chapter (e.g. formulas, definitions).

If the book was better written/designed, a lot more useful information could be given in a similar amount of words.

Advertisement