Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know when medical marijuana will be legal in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-01-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I know that the legalisation process has begun, but I'm just trying to find out when it is likely to be be available here.

I have stage IV cancer, and am quite anxious to try medical marijuana. I have done quite a bit of research which leads me to believe that it would help with the pain, and that in some cases it can help keep the cancer from spreading any further.

Since time is of the essence for me, I was hoping that it will soon be available here in Ireland, as I wouldn't know where to start, in relation to trying to get it from abroad, etc. You couldn't be sure you were getting the real stuff online anyway!

Any information regarding the legaility in Ireland would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I have yet to see any information on availability unfortunately, i would be interested to know myself but i'm not under the time pressure you are. I'll keep my eyes better peeled though..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

There's no timeline announced as of yet Astrolabe. The Minister for Health has asked the HPRA (which was the Irish Medicines Board) to review medical marijuana and report back by the end of January (info here). There has been one case reported where a licence has been granted by the Minister for the use of cannabis oil for a child with a severe form of epilepsy. I can't remember what the exact legal provision for such a licence is but this would be granted on a case by case basis and I assume would need to be supported by information on a patient's condition from their doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

Thanks to you both.

I would love to know how to go about getting that license you mentioned...I can definitely get all the documentation etc I need from my doctor and oncology team. I must look into the links you gave, penguin88.

Thanks again, guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Astrolabe wrote: »
    Thanks to you both.

I would love to know how to go about getting that license you mentioned...I can definitely get all the documentation etc I need from my doctor and oncology team. I must look into the links you gave, penguin88.

Thanks again, guys :)

You need to understand what the family in Cork went through in order to get where they are today.
    See news article here.. RTE News
    But in short they had to travel to Colorado to where people were experienced in prescribing Cannabis Oil for epilepsy and similar conditions in order to find the combination that worked better for their son. This type of care is not available here (yet).
    It was only after they had tried everything available here that they sought out the Oil treatment. It was after time on the treatment and showing significant improvement, but still in Colorado, which their Irish medical could verify, was what led their G.P. to apply to import the product under licence in order to facilitate the family to return home.
    Best of luck with everything.

Advertisement