Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install a Nest

Options
  • 17-01-2017 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking about installing a Nest but not sure exactly how I should . I have a standard oil boiler and its controlled using a horstmann h37xl into 3 zones downstairs, upstairs and water. I have 2 thermostats in the sitting room(downstairs) and upstairs.
    Would I be installing my Nest where the thermostat is or in place of my horstmann? If so does the Nest need a power cable or is battery operated

Ideally all I want to be able to do is to turn on my heating remotely,say coming home late from work and get on the app and turn it on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Hi,

Thinking about installing a Nest but not sure exactly how I should . I have a standard oil boiler and its controlled using a horstmann h37xl into 3 zones downstairs, upstairs and water. I have 2 thermostats in the sitting room(downstairs) and upstairs.
    Would I be installing my Nest where the thermostat is or in place of my horstmann? If so does the Nest need a power cable or is battery operated

Ideally all I want to be able to do is to turn on my heating remotely,say coming home late from work and get on the app and turn it on

What you could look into is replacing your existing timer with a 3zone eph timer and adding the ember gateway. It'll let you boost each zone from your phone altho you won't be able to view the temperatures without wireless stats

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

What you could look into is replacing your existing timer with a 3zone eph timer and adding the ember gateway. It'll let you boost each zone from your phone altho you won't be able to view the temperatures without wireless stats

Hi,
    If I have existing 3 Channel programmer and two non EPH Wired Thermostats, could I simply replace the Controller with EPH , add EPH Gateway and control three zones from internet (I don't care about not seeing temperature)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi,

Hi - did you ever get a simple solution to this ?

I have the same controls (Horstmann h37xl) and would love to be able to turn it on remotely for the same reason.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Probably best to just replace the Horstmann with a smart thermostats like Nest, Tado, etc.

bk wrote: »
    Probably best to just replace the Horstmann with a smart thermostats like Nest, Tado, etc.

Yep - buy I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it as the Horstmann is wired already into a "bracket" of sorts (http://thumbsnap.com/sc/muZf1ZSx.jpg) and maybe it's easy to connect to this - I'd like to do it myself, but may have to pay someone if it's too complex.

The controls I have control Upstairs heating, downstairs heating and Water (all to an oil boiler)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You have a whole bunch of different options, some which you might be able to do yourself, others which might require an electrician.

So it sounds like you have a thermostat upstairs, downstairs and a hortsmann by the boiler.

I assume you can set the hortsmann to run all day, right?

So one option is to get two Tado thermostats and simply replace the two existing thermostats with those and leave the hortsmann in place. You then just set the hortsmann to run all day, but controlled by the thermostats.

You continue to use the Hortsmann for hot water control, but your two rad zones can now be remotely controlled by the Tado app, etc.

You can also set up Tado to control hot water, but that would most likely to need an electrician visit. Same with Nest.

You should check out the Home Automation forum here on boards, Smart thermostats get discussed in detail there.

bk wrote: »
    You have a whole bunch of different options, some which you might be able to do yourself, others which might require an electrician.

So it sounds like you have a thermostat upstairs, downstairs and a hortsmann by the boiler.

I assume you can set the hortsmann to run all day, right?

So one option is to get two Tado thermostats and simply replace the two existing thermostats with those and leave the hortsmann in place. You then just set the hortsmann to run all day, but controlled by the thermostats.

You continue to use the Hortsmann for hot water control, but your two rad zones can now be remotely controlled by the Tado app, etc.

You can also set up Tado to control hot water, but that would most likely to need an electrician visit. Same with Nest.

You should check out the Home Automation forum here on boards, Smart thermostats get discussed in detail there.

Ahh....hadn't thought of that actually.

So essentially I use a web connected thermostat, and leave the horstmann set to ON all the time for that zone. Then the thermostat controls the actual on/off for the heating.

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Ahh....hadn't thought of that actually.

So essentially I use a web connected thermostat, and leave the horstmann set to ON all the time for that zone. Then the thermostat controls the actual on/off for the heating.

Yes, exactly.

You should look at the wiring of your current thermostats and Tado instruction manual just to make sure.

Their is a big thread about this over on the Home Automation forum, with lots of people doing the same and experience in Tado, etc. their is a poster over their with Tado that gives great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

Is that a smart unit? Can it tell if the house is empty etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Hi, you ever get this sorted, do you mind me asking how and what you went for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement