Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Surface 3 Tablet 32GB SSD (€300) IBOOD

Options
  • 17-01-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

My sister is looking for a laptop and asked for my help in finding one. She would be a regular user of tablets (and her existing one need replacing) so I think this one with the addition of a bluetooth key board would be a good bargain. 
    From my early research the 32GB version seems to be a 'student' model and the Surface 3 is 2-3 years old at this stage. But all that aside does anyone have any experience with it or consider it good value and suitable for some typing and home use (TV/Music/FB etc). 
    [font=Museo700, Verdana, sans-serif]"Microsoft Surface 3 Tablet | 2GB, 32GB SSD, WiFi[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks to support for desktop software, USB 3.0 and an integrated kickstand, the Surface 3 is perfect for school, home and on the go. Comes with Office 365 Personal.[/font][/font]
    [font=Museo500, Verdana, sans-serif]The best of a tablet and laptop in one sleek package[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]With its 10.8” Full HD Plus screen (1920x1280) and thin, light frame that weighs less than 700 grams, the Surface 3 has just the right size to take everywhere. The Dolby Audio support, kickstand and front and rear camera’s make it ideal for handsfree entertainment.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Furthermore, the Intel Atom processor powers all of your favorite apps and desktop software, just like a laptop. Hook up a Bluetooth keyboard or Microsoft’s own Cover keyboard and you’re ready to go. From watching a movie on the bus to working several hours behind your desk, this tablet does both just as easily.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The Microsoft Surface 3 comes with 2GB of RAM, a 32GB SSD, supports the whole spectrum of WiFi (a/b/g/n/ac) and has Bluetooth 4.0."[/font]
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

So not buy from iblood for someone else. You're asking for a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Page not found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

I would not recommend using Ibood.
    Aside from that the tablet is good if that is what you need but the screen and storage are too small to replace a laptop for regular use. You would need to buy an external screen, keyboard and cloud storage if she wants to use if productively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

32GB for a Windows Device is not enough.

Id avoid it. You will constantly struggle with memory management for Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

micro sd card for expanding the storage is fairly cheap though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

32GB for a Windows Device is not enough.

Yes it is. As long as you don't expect to use it for storing a lot of personal files. If I bought it, the first thing I'd do is to wipe it and re-install a clean version of Windows without the clutter / adware that comes with a new computer. That will help too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Isn't the Surface 5 coming out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it is. As long as you don't expect to use it for storing a lot of personal files. If I bought it, the first thing I'd do is to wipe it and re-install a clean version of Windows without the clutter / adware that comes with a new computer. That will help too.

What adware? Its a Microsoft device.
    No adware is ever included in MS Devices, there's no need to re-install windows...

Problem is not with personal files, problem is that with time, windows updates and applications easily eat up the measly 32GB storage drive.

MS did some great work reducing the size of windows 10, but it still takes up around 12GB when fresh, plus (if any) recovery drives that eat more of that free space.

I've had a 64GB Surface Pro 2 +64GB memory card and that was hard to manage. Save yourself some hassle and either skip this or pay more and get at least 64GB.

Personally I wouldn't touch a windows device without at least 128GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

stooge wrote: »
    micro sd card for expanding the storage is fairly cheap though?

If you get 20GB taken by Windows and 10GB taken by Program Files folders (which is not unusual) you may realise not all windows folders can by moved to sd card.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

HEAnet have an offer with Microsoft giving students 20% off the Surface Pro 4 at the moment: www.heanet.ie/store.
    You must be a student at a HEAnet member institution to avail of the offer.
    Surface Pro 4 start with 128GB of disk and 4GB of RAM and the list price goes from €1029 to €1969 depending on the specification. The discount is also applicable to the keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

gmf1024 wrote: »
    HEAnet have an offer with Microsoft giving students 20% off the Surface Pro 4 at the moment: www.heanet.ie/store.
    You must be a student at a HEAnet member institution to avail of the offer.
    Surface Pro 4 start with 128GB of disk and 4GB of RAM and the list price goes from €1029 to €1969 depending on the specification. The discount is also applicable to the keyboard.

I think they are cheaper direct from MS store, they start at €874 for the m3 or €959 for the i5 128Gb at the moment. They also do student offers which give 10% off the normal price if you're looking for the more expensive ones. I still wouldn't pay that much as they have better offers from time to time and end up quite a bit cheaper, the christmas offer had them for less than that and included the type cover if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

The €874 price must have happened since last Monday!
    The HEAnet voucher makes this €823.20 on the m3 and the i5 128GB €903.20.
    Regular student pricing is still showing at 874 and 959 respectively.
    No indication as to how long the consumer price will be offered at that discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

gmf1024 wrote: »
    The €874 price must have happened since last Monday!
    The HEAnet voucher makes this €823.20 on the m3 and the i5 128GB €903.20.
    Regular student pricing is still showing at 874 and 959 respectively.
    No indication as to how long the consumer price will be offered at that discount.

I wasn't sure what the prices were on HEAnet, I'm not a student so I don't think it will let me see them. Like I said, they were less than that at christmas and included the type cover, you could also get the m3 with type cover for £699 or i5 with type cover for £809 and it would work out cheaper than getting them seperate.

Advertisement