Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Con of Statutory Regulation.

Options
  • 16-01-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm doing a small class project about the incoming statutory regulations. I have loads of pros, but can't seem to find any cons when I'm researching. I'm not that educated in this area, but would I be right in assuming that there isn't any cons.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Garrett81 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm doing a small class project about the incoming statutory regulations. I have loads of pros, but can't seem to find any cons when I'm researching. I'm not that educated in this area, but would I be right in assuming that there isn't any cons.?

Thanks

In theory it's all positive, cons may not become apparent until it's implemented.

Is it just another money spinner? How much will yearly membership fees be, will they be higher than the individual accreditation bodies are now charging?

On that note, what do the likes of IACP IAHIP do anyway? What value do you get for your buck?

EDIT: as an after thought, there is one area that I find troubling!! It is to do with ACI and how they accredit individuals, as addiction counsellors.

So, my understanding of the proposed regulation is that a grandfathering system will be in place, and that to use the term psychotherapist you will need a 4 year masters (rightly so). To use the term counsellor it will be a BA level 8 in counselling and psychotherapy, or counselling and addiction studies. So these two BA will hold the same weight in terms of the name, counsellor or psychological counsellor!!

My main issue with this is, when it comes to grandfathering, the standards ACI have had and continue to have are extremely low, people can get accredited with a diploma in addiction studies, run over one day a week for academic year, added to this there is very little clinical study in this, one module on MI or counselling skill max

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

Thanks a mill for that dar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Well, look at the professions that have had statutory regulation for donkeys years: medicine and nursing.

People get struck off from the register, or have to work with limitations. It seems to work quite well.

HOW they are going to regulate a bunch of psychotherapists and counsellors, ranging from the evidence-based to the frankly ridiculous (some of the wilder shores of therapy are out there, far out there) I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Garrett81 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Thanks

Hi Garrett81,
    Regulation is considered a great coup for the psychotherapist profession. Society enjoys the comfort of structures and defined processes.

I feel that the benefits far outweigh the negatives on this one.

I would wonder, what will it be like to squeeze what is essentially a fluid social science into what is currently a medically formulated framework. Should this occur, I fear it could well restrict the development of the therapeutic relationship as some perspectives would view it, depending on the parameters set out.

Reading just the lines it all seems very good right now.

Advertisement