Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Month old Puggle - which food?

Options
  • 16-01-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I have a 3 month old puggle (female) about 3 weeks now, I have been feeding her twice a day with dry-only Carnilove Puppy Salmon & Turkey. It makes more sense to but a bigger bag so I thought I'd ask the question, is this a good brand? The chap in the pet-store reccomended it but my motto is never trust a salesman, are there better brands? any reccomendations at all ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Oh dear god a puggle isn't a thing. It's not a breed. You have a 3 month old mongrel or mixed breed to be PC about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh dear god a puggle isn't a thing. It's not a breed. You have a 3 month old mongrel or mixed breed to be PC about it.

Is that what the op asked?
    No. It's not.
    Can we please stay on topic and address the op's questions.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I never heard of it, maybe post the ingredients list/price & a rough idea of your budget & we might be able to offer some suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Knine wrote: »
    I never heard of it, maybe post the ingredients list/price & a rough idea of your budget & we might be able to offer some suggestions

Carnilove Puppy is a potato and grain free dog food suitable for all puppy breeds up to 12 months of age. The Salmon and Turkey recipe is an excellent source of highly digestible proteins and Omega 3 both of which have a natural impact on your puppies metabolism and mental development. Carnilove Puppy food will help improve and maintain the quality and appearance of your puppies hair and skin. Also contains vitamins B3 and B6 which are critical for muscle tone and healthy growth. Size: 1.5kg

Ingredients

salmon meal (25%), turkey meal (20%), yellow peas (20%), chicken fat (preserved with tapioca starch, 10%), duck meal (5%), salmon deboned (5%), chicken liver (3%), tapioca (3%), apples (3%), salmon oil (2%), carrots (1%), flaxseed (1%), chickpeas (1%), hydrolyzed crustacean shells (a source of glucosamine, 0,05%), cartilage extract (a source of chondroitin, 0,03%), brewer´s yeast (a source of mannan-oligosaccharides, 0,015%), chicory root (a source of fructo-oligosaccharides, 0,01%), yucca schidigera (0,01%), algae (0,01%), psyllium (0,01%), thyme (0,01%), rosemary (0,01%), oregano (0,01%), cranberries (0,0008%), blueberries (0,0008%), rasp - berries (0,0008%).
    - See more at: http://www.equipetstores.com/carnilove-puppy-salmon-turkey-1-5kg.html#sthash.6F3WASpm.dpuf

It works out at €10 for 1.5 kg - or €60 for 12 kg

Op, I'm not familiar with that particular brand, I'm sure there'll be others along to help you in that regard.
    But what does stand out to me is that at 12 weeks, 2 meals a day isn't really enough. Well, you can certainly get his daily ration into him in the 2 meals, but puppies thrive best on being fed 4, sometimes 5 times per day up until they're through that first major growth spurt, which your lad will have just started at this age. Growth is extremely demanding of energy and nutrients, so I think pups should be fed to satiation at each meal, and fed 4-5 times per day. Otherwise they tend to become terribly hungry between meals, and a hungry puppy can really act up!
    What most owners find is that their pup starts to not finish one of those meals as they get to 5ish months, at which stage that meal can be phased out.
    Personally, I think adult dogs should be fed twice per day for life. With the Pug influence in your pup, there's a good chance you'll need to be careful with calorie control when he reaches adulthood, they're... errr... Fond of their grub :o

Edited to add... Sorry, for some reason I thought your pup was male and referred to her as "him" throughout! But I see she's female ;)

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Op, I'm not familiar with that particular brand, I'm sure there'll be others along to help you in that regard.
    But what does stand out to me is that at 12 weeks, 2 meals a day isn't really enough. Well, you can certainly get his daily ration into him in the 2 meals, but puppies thrive best on being fed 4, sometimes 5 times per day up until they're through that first major growth spurt, which your lad will have just started at this age. Growth is extremely demanding of energy and nutrients, so I think pups should be fed to satiation at each meal, and fed 4-5 times per day. Otherwise they tend to become terribly hungry between meals, and a hungry puppy can really act up!
    What most owners find is that their pup starts to not finish one of those meals as they get to 5ish months, at which stage that meal can be phased out.
    Personally, I think adult dogs should be fed twice per day for life. With the Pug influence in your pup, there's a good chance you'll need to be careful with calorie control when he reaches adulthood, they're... errr... Fond of their grub :o

Thanks for the advice....

That looks like a pretty good quality food op... I'm a big fan of grain-free food for dogs ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

It's rated 4.9 out of 5 on allaboutdogfood.co.uk - doesn't seem too bad at all OP (bearing in mind DBB's comments on number of meals ;)). Someone else might have a better suggestion, but you can always take a look at various ratings here:

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/search-all-about-dog-food.php?q=carnilove&submit=

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hi OP!

Puggle owner here too! Make sure you keep her on drys always (a puggle's bowels aren't the strongest) and as she develops try and add a muscle development food such as Royal Canine pug food. The females especially are prone to gaining weight after puppy-hood and losing their muscley physique so make sure she gets plenty of exercise! We feed ours only in the morning ☺️Enjoy☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Those ingredients look pretty good & if he is doing well on it & you are happy with the price then maybe keep him on it. You can buy the bigger bag & store it in a storage bin. I buy all my food in bulk but I am feeding 4 dogs!

I only feed puppy food for the first 4/5 months then I switch to adult. I never go by the instructions on the food bag & prefer plenty of condition on young pups!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help folks...think I might stick with the same food so..seem's to be highly rated...cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I used that food for quite a while, like its grain free ingredients. I changed when my dogs seemed to go right off it, suddenly, for some reason :mad: Just a comment on the fact that you are thinking of buying a bigger bag for your very small dog - might be worth reconsidering that, as kibble does go 'stale' and Id also be concerned about storage (mites) as it'll take so long for her to get through a large bag. Its also nice sometimes to just change the flavours, so its not too boring!

Please post a photo (of her, not the kibble :D) A neighbour has a pug/JRT x - seriously cute

IMG_20161229_161313.jpg

IMG_20170116_134337.jpg

thanks for the advice aonb....maybe buy multiple smaller bags? I have a 20% voucher that has to be used by the end of January :).... I think this particular brand only has one flavour in the puppy range?

what a cutie!
    if you have a voucher :) as you say, good idea to get some small bags, at least they are sealed, tho with storage mites not sure if that is 100% foolproof? Still, better than a big bag opened I imagine?

aonb wrote: »
    what a cutie!
    if you have a voucher :) as you say, good idea to get some small bags, at least they are sealed, tho with storage mites not sure if that is 100% foolproof? Still, better than a big bag opened I imagine?

cheers, that never would have occured to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

She's seriously cute!

What exactly is a puggle? Pug, I've gathered, and poodle? I'm not an expert by any means but I can't really see any poodle there, she looks almost like a mini boxer (which would be the cutest dog ever IMO - I love boxers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

kingaaa wrote: »
    IMG_20161229_161313.jpg

IMG_20170116_134337.jpg

thanks for the advice aonb....maybe buy multiple smaller bags? I have a 20% voucher that has to be used by the end of January :).... I think this particular brand only has one flavour in the puppy range?

What a cute pup!
    It's quite easy to maintain a dog on a home prepared diet. That often gets forgotten in these debates about what commercial food is the correct one!
    To do it right means getting a diet plan drawn up by an animal nutritionist, tailored to your pets needs, and describing how to formulate the food yourself, ie proportions of ingredients.
    If done right, you will absolutely be sure of the quality of ingredients in your dogs food, but requires a big time/effort commitment

volchitsa wrote: »
    What exactly is a puggle?

Pug x Beagle :)

It's quite easy to maintain a dog on a home prepared diet. That often gets forgotten in these debates about what commercial food is the correct one!
    To do it right means getting a diet plan drawn up by an animal nutritionist, tailored to your pets needs, and describing how to formulate the food yourself, ie proportions of ingredients.
    If done right, you will absolutely be sure of the quality of ingredients in your dogs food, but requires a big time/effort commitment

I'm a mainly-raw/home-cooked feeder. Have been for a long time... before it became trendy ;)
    Am I the only one who's a bit wary of feeding a home-prepared diet to a pup? There's wayyyy too much going on with their growth and development (physical and mental) for me to feel totally at ease with it. I suppose you'd get away with more with a smaller breed pup, but as the recent dogmomma to going-to-be-gigantic GSD pup... I went back to mainly commercial for her, at least until her major growth spurt was done.
    I know, ideally, you'd contact a canine nutrition expert, but there are precious few of them available in Ireland. Plenty who claim to be, but very few who actually are :o

Ive always fed home cooked. But Ive never had large breed puppies, so I can understand why it would be 'safer' to feed them a commercial reliable quality food until they were finished growing.

I find home cooked to be so easy now - once a week (when I had 3 dogs it was twice/week) I cook up a pan of food. From prep to cooking (boiled) is about 30 mins. Put the pan in the fridge. Job done for the week. Its cheaper, smells wonderful (once had an overnight guest who helped himself to a nice big serving when he woke up feeling peckish in the middle of the night!!!), all dogs seem to favour it, and 100 times better than most wetfoods quality-wise. Plus I know whats in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

aonb wrote: »
    Ive always fed home cooked. But Ive never had large breed puppies, so I can understand why it would be 'safer' to feed them a commercial reliable quality food until they were finished growing.

I find home cooked to be so easy now - once a week (when I had 3 dogs it was twice/week) I cook up a pan of food. From prep to cooking (boiled) is about 30 mins. Put the pan in the fridge. Job done for the week. Its cheaper, smells wonderful (once had an overnight guest who helped himself to a nice big serving when he woke up feeling peckish in the middle of the night!!!), all dogs seem to favour it, and 100 times better than most wetfoods quality-wise. Plus I know whats in it!
    Do you mind me asking what you put in it in terms of ingredients?

Meat - eg chicken thighs, either brown rice or potatos, sweet potatos, carrots, peas, any veg thats on special offer. Put all in the pan, boil until meat is cooked. I debone the chicken, chop meat up. I always leave the bones in when cooking, but remove bones when cooked. Put the pan in the fridge, take out what I need for each meal, I microwave it for a few seconds to take the real chill out of it.

I add salmon oil, an egg (including ground up shell). I also include a bit of coconut oil (solid) to their bowl.

I vary the pot by changing the chicken to lamb, or fish (frozen white fish fillets from supermarket) and might add celery or pasta, bit of oatmeal, pumpkin/squash. I plop a bit of plain natural unsweetened yogurt onto their dish when serving up also.

Theres a ton of information online to help you make up a good dinner.

I give raw chicken wings once or twice a week (mostly for anal glands) I give a bit of tinned sardines once a week. I give a raw lamb or beef bone a couple of times/week. Cheese is a major bribe in this house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm a mainly-raw/home-cooked feeder. Have been for a long time... before it became trendy ;)
    Am I the only one who's a bit wary of feeding a home-prepared diet to a pup? There's wayyyy too much going on with their growth and development (physical and mental) for me to feel totally at ease with it. I suppose you'd get away with more with a smaller breed pup, but as the recent dogmomma to going-to-be-gigantic GSD pup... I went back to mainly commercial for her, at least until her major growth spurt was done.
    I know, ideally, you'd contact a canine nutrition expert, but there are precious few of them available in Ireland. Plenty who claim to be, but very few who actually are :o

I was going to say the same thing. I know of people doing a course for a few months and calling themselves nutritionalists!

I raw fed Lucy from day 1 but as the months went on and she needed more and more and MORE food i started to bulk the meals out with wet food from zooplus to try and save some money! She was on 1kg of meat (maybe more - i can't remember at this stage :o) and an 800g can of Rocco Junior a day at one stage(!)

Pug x Beagle :)

In terms of looks that'd be a lovely mix - as the pix show!
    I wonder if their personality tends to be more beagle or pug, or is that just not predictable?

volchitsa wrote: »
    In terms of looks that'd be a lovely mix - as the pix show!
    I wonder if their personality tends to be more beagle or pug, or is that just not predictable?

not quite sure...I've never had either breed before, but I did have a Boxer about 25 years ago and she is quite similar, maybe with about 20% more energy and 20% more character !!! What I will say is as energetic as she is, she loves her comfort and being close to somebody when she is chilling out - although maybe thats just the puppy phase?

Yeah I thought she looked like a mini boxer. Sounds perfect! It'll be interesting to see as she develops which side has more influence. If it were me I'd be hoping for a pug-type personality - and obviously you'd expect more energy - but importantly without the breathing issues.

In fact it might be that the main reason adult pugs are so low energy is because they cant breathe, and if that's fixed they may be full of pep!

Advertisement