Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting branches in Ancestry.com

Options
  • 16-01-2017 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help.

I have a large(ish) family tree that is obviously made up of many branches. A family member has asked me to set up their initial family tree, using my existing records. However, they are only related to half my family tree (their relatives of my father).

I am using Ancestry.com to store this data, and would be settingup the new tree on there as well. Ancestry's website is fairly useless for providing help. Therefore:

Is there any way that I can delete my mother's half of the family tree using Ancestry.com, without doing it one individual at a time?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't think there is.

Why exactly do you wan to delete a branch?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know you can do this in Family Tree Maker, but I'm not sure if you can in Ancestry. Their tools are kind of limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

what might work is go to the marriage between your mother & father. Delete your mother as the spouse and the rest of her relations will no longer be linked with your father's family. As far as I know, the data will still be on ancestry. However, I still can't find a way to tell ancestry that I want to set up a new family tree and I want to export just one branch of an existing tree, which is what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BowWow

KildareFan wrote: »
    what might work is go to the marriage between your mother & father. Delete your mother as the spouse and the rest of her relations will no longer be linked with your father's family. As far as I know, the data will still be on ancestry. However, I still can't find a way to tell ancestry that I want to set up a new family tree and I want to export just one branch of an existing tree, which is what you want to do.

What about setting up a new tree, copy your existing tree into it, in the new tree delete everyone you don't want, then export the new tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don't use ancestry.....Have you tried downloading the tree, saving it as a separate file, cutting the link at the appropriate husband – wife marriage, then create a new tree with just the name of the husband and merge him with his counterpart on the downloaded tree?

• Advertisement
Advertisement