Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a replacement motherboard needed!

Options
  • 16-01-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,
    My son knocked a glass of water over on the computer desk, some of which got into the home built computer underneath. After the crackling noise stopped and the smoke cleared, I removed the components from the case and there are a few black marks on the motherboard, also some water around the Graphics Card.
    I think the motherboard is gone, it is an ASROCK Z77 Extreme4. But i can't seem to find this online to buy again. There may be a newer model out now.
    No overclocking or anything fancy needed, just a cheap replacement. All ideas welcome!!!
    CPU = [font=arial, sans-serif]i5-3570K[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]RAM = [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]8GB Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile CL9 black PC3-12800U[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]G-Card = RX480 8GB (hopefully ok)[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Thanks in advance.[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LGA 1155 mobos under €100

The main worry I'd have is if it's ONLY the motherboard that got shorted, or other components too (e.g. water on the GPU sounds bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dazice

Thanks for the link, yeah I'm a bit worried about that too. (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dazice

Update: Replaced Motherboard got computer back working, plugged GPU in... big puff of smoke from the card... RIP RX480 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Dazice wrote: »
    Update: Replaced Motherboard got computer back working, plugged GPU in... big puff of smoke from the card... RIP RX480 :(

I hope you explained to your son that he will be paying that back with his pocket money for the next year!

Advertisement