Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for computer programming

Options
  • 16-01-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to buy a laptop as I have just started a course in computer programming. The course recommends the Macbook pro or a windows laptop with intel i5 and 8gb of ram.

I was thinking of getting the Mac but they are around 2grand. Are they worth it?

Is there any other laptop that is cheaper but can do the same thing (windows or mac)? What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thearc

If you have enough money - buy Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Second Hand Mac might be worth looking at also

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What kind of computer programming? I would argue that 2 grand on a Mac is not worth it. I would prefer last years model, and the performance difference between last year and this years model is negligible.

Generally programming courses do not require computers with a lot of horsepower. The Mac isn't even a particularly great computer in that regard. If it were me, I'd be looking at a Windows ultrabook. Getting an i5 with 8GB of RAM is easy peasy under 800. You could spend more for a nicer machine, an XPS13 could be a worth a look.

One of the benefits of a Mac is that is a Unix (ish) operating system. But Windows now has Bash (through Ubuntu.). But even if you wanted a linux environment you could easily install one.

2 grand is a lot of money for any student. You'd want to be very sure of what you want and need before dropping it on a Mac, which still only has 8GB of RAM and only 256GB of SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Ok so I decided to go for the HP Spectre or the Dell xps 13 but there is about 3 different versions of each to get . Which one is best?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

deadybai wrote: »
    Ok so I decided to go for the HP Spectre or the Dell xps 13 but there is about 3 different versions of each to get . Which one is best?

You should let us know what versions you're considering.... At a guess I'd say the difference for the XPS will be whether you get the 4k touch screen or the 1080p panel. And there are probably other spec differences to consider too.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I need to buy a laptop as I have just started a course in computer programming. The course recommends the Macbook pro or a windows laptop with intel i5 and 8gb of ram.

I was thinking of getting the Mac but they are around 2grand. Are they worth it?

Is there any other laptop that is cheaper but can do the same thing (windows or mac)? What would you recommend?

Apart from the i5 and 8gb RAM, make sure you have at least 1080p screen and SSD.

I recently got a new windows laptop for coding on and it cost about a grand (with i7 and 16gb ram). I also went for 15" screen, as I can't always connect to an external monitor, and couldn't be staring at a 13" screen for a whole day.

Good luck, it's a tough decision :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Apart from the i5 and 8gb RAM, make sure you have at least 1080p screen and SSD.

I recently got a new windows laptop for coding on and it cost about a grand (with i7 and 16gb ram). I also went for 15" screen, as I can't always connect to an external monitor, and couldn't be staring at a 13" screen for a whole day.

Good luck, it's a tough decision :D

Still using 1366x768 on a 13" here.... man oh man I can't wait to upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You'd be better off investing in a second monitor than a 2 grand mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Basil3 wrote:

What laptop you get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Sorry lads but has anyone here actually done any programming? Saying you would need a laptop with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM for programming is plain ridiculous.

• Advertisement

What laptop you get ?

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=cn53802&model_id=inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop

Overall, am happy with it. I think with current discount code, it's about €950. I managed to get work to help me with getting VAT off, so worked out to €800.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Sorry lads but has anyone here actually done any programming? Saying you would need a laptop with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM for programming is plain ridiculous.

I was using an i5 with 8GB for a year with no issues. Mainly Android Studio, but also Visual Studio and Netbeans.

I guess it depends what you're doing, but I can't imagine a student would need something more powerful than that.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I was using an i5 with 8GB for a year with no issues. Mainly Android Studio, but also Visual Studio and Netbeans.

I guess it depends what you're doing, but I can't imagine a student would need something more powerful than that.

I think what he is saying that you don't even need an i5 for programming. you could do programming on a netbook. it's not a very intensive activity. unless you're doing the highest end stuff like VR or complex 3D.

Advertisement