Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chassis Damage Advise Please

Options
  • 16-01-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I have a 12 year old car with crash damage to the chassis behind the bumper reinforcing bar. Panel beater says it can be fixed but estimates the repair work to be over €1200. Before accident it was probably worth €2000 -€2500

On paper, this wouldn't make sense and the panel beater said that. He thinks the insurance company will write off. I have an insurance guy calling tomorrow to look at it. Any advise on how I should go about this? Here is the thing. To me personally the car is worth a lot more than its market value. Mechanically it is 100%. I do all the servicing and repairs myself.Body work other than the damaged bits is very good.

If I got a reputable panel beater to do the work would it be an issue on nct or should a good panel beater guarantee the work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they do declare it an economical write off then I think they will pay you it's market value less scrap value. It then becomes their property which they normally just sell onto a breaker. I think if you want to keep the car and repair it yourself then you would have to buy it back off them at agreed scrap value. Depending on the severity of the damage you could have a problem insuring it and might need an engineers report to state it's roadworthy once repaired. This is all my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You don't have to accept a write off. Tell the insurance company you'd need it repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

You don't have to accept a write off. Tell the insurance company you'd need it repaired.

The insurance company have the option of an economical write off .
    They can pay out the market value of the car which in a case like this they would likely do

Advertisement