Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Algorithms used by social media are useless in the context of the Irish user

Options
  • 16-01-2017 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I'm talking about the likes of "People You May Know" on LinkedIn and "Find Friends" to connect to on facebook. Both of these are utterly useless to me and are more a source of clutter than anything else.
    Reason: The Irish User Base is TOO SMALL.
    Indeed I am more likely to see enemies of mine in such 'searches' than find a friend.

What do you think?

Find friend and the like "Suggestions" on social media 3 votes

Should be disabled by default for Audience like Irish Market
    0% 0 votes
    Put up with it. Social Media is Free.
    33% 1 vote
    Such option on social media has benefited me: Explain in your post.
    66% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I'm talking about the likes of "People You May Know" on LinkedIn and "Find Friends" to connect to on facebook. Both of these are utterly useless to me and are more a source of clutter than anything else.
    Indeed I am more likely to see enemies of mine in such 'searches' than find a friend.

What do you think?
    They might be useless to you, but they're not useless to me.

Anytime I log in to LinkedIn or Facebook the suggestions are very relevant and include people who I *might* want to connect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

5rtytry56 wrote: »

What do you think?
    Do you really have so many enemies?
    It's useful at time, on LinkedIn in particular. On Facebook it's more likely to show me people with lots of friends in common but that I don't know. It's functionality I don't use much on FB to be honest, if anything I try and keep my friends list trimmed rather than searching for people to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO the algorithms used by Linkedin are amazing. I have yet to read a suggested article that I didn't like from Linkedin. I think the advertising is more organic on Linkedin.

What absolutely kills me about Facebook is that I have a lot of multilingual friends. Facebook obviously knows what languages I speak, but yet will show me news articles or clips for shows in languages I don't speak as my friends liked them. I wish Facebook algorithms removed stuff I clearly can't understand. I hate it when I can't understand 20% of what my newsfeed

Advertisement