Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on New Laptop

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's grand for casual use but for the latest games it's very poor, assuming you mean modern games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc - most of these won't run properly even at lowest settings and resolutions.

Lighter stuff like Overwatch, GTA V, etc will get by well if you don't mind low settings.

There are a few laptops on Amazon around the €500 mark with the Nvidia GT940M which is a considerably faster card and would allow you to play stuff like Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 at low settings quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its ok for casual gaming ,or games in low resolution ,medium settings ,no cloud,fog effects,some effects switched to low settings ,eg shadow,s ,etc
    eg play games at less than 1200 x1000 resolution if you want to play battlefield 1 etc

riclad wrote: »
    Its ok for casual gaming ,or games in low resolution ,medium settings ,no cloud,fog effects,some effects switched to low settings ,eg shadow,s ,etc
    eg play games at less than 1200 x1000 resolution if you want to play battlefield 1 etc

No, it's not. Battlefield 1 won't run at 1280x720 lowest settings properly, maybe 20fps. Not playable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

There are a few laptops on Amazon around the €500 mark with the Nvidia GT940M which is a considerably faster card and would allow you to play stuff like Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 at low settings quite well.

Id appreciate your advice on one of those laptops you mention TerrorFirmer, need something to run Lightroom & Photoshop, around 15" with a decent screen, 8 or 16gb ram, any advice please?

Maybe check out reviews on this? Spec's are good - Skylake i3, 8GB, full HD, a solid state drive (120GB, so you might want to add a storage 500GB/1TB) and an Nvidia GT940M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've a GT940M in my laptop. Managed to play Obduction pretty well with some settings lowered. Plays things like Bioshock, Dirt Rally, Portal 2 no bother. Coupled with an i7, SSD, 8GB ram and it does all I need no issues. Light video editing, Photoshop, music production. (with noting I have the HQ version of the i7.)

Advertisement