Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade vegan milk that will froth?!

Options
  • 16-01-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Anyone have any tips or tricks?
    I've been buying the rude health 'barista' oat milk, which is lovely and foams a decent amount but is €3 a litre!
    Would like to make my own that will froth.. not sure if I should be adding a thickener?! Or how do Rude Health make it frothy?!
    I make my own nut/seed 'mylk' all the time.. but it never froths :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Not home made, but I use the alpro unsweetened soya milk, fresh from dunnes but I mix it half soy milk half water. Heat in microwave and fluff with the frother. I find it great. When I used all soy milk (for me) it was just too dense. a carton used just for coffee lasts me the week. I really missed my lattes and went through a cow lattee at the weekend faze but after I tried the soya. I'm hooked.

The fresh alternative milks regularly go on special in tesco/dunnes for 1.50 so worth buying a few when you see an offer.

I'm new to the alternative milks, love unsweetened almond milk with cereals and the oat one with porridge. I have tried homemade almond milk but I used a food processor as I don't have a top range blender so it wasn't great.

I haven't tried it but in gweneth paltrows last book she suggests mixing/possibly blending a spoon of almond butter with water to make almond milk.

I tried the coconut alternative milk and yogurts, I thought they were horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sean o'toole

haven't tried the rude health one but Oatly also do a 'barista' milk and its pretty decent. It has rapeseed oil as the second ingredient so i wonder does that affect its foaming ability. People say milk with higher fat content is better for foaming so the oil might help the fattyness of it i suppose.
    If yer in dublin area, they do pretty nice coffee in the hopsack and they use the oatly barista stuff ( also sell it in there , but also pricey enough at 2.75)

Would be interested in trying to make my own, so keep us posted if you find any interesting recipes or find anything that works well.

The fumbaly cafe in dublin make a sesame milk that seems to foam up ok, so that could also be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

The least expensive option for me so far is alpro soya for professionals which I picked up for 2 Euro . I also have used both versions of the oatly oat milk with success. If you can find bonsoy it works very well but again can be costly .
    I'm heating in a metal jug with my coffee machines heat wand.
    Never tried making my own milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Any updates from anyone on the homemade side of mylks 🀪

Would love a new receipt to try that would froth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Lunaarli wrote: »
    Any updates from anyone on the homemade side of mylks ��

Would love a new receipt to try that would froth :)

Just a thought but perhaps some agar agar powder added would help maintain a froth. When I am making coconut cream whip I typically add some Agar to it. I find it gives better peaks.

I wouldnt go too heavy on it though as you don't want to have a jelly "milk"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Muggins

Hi all, I've been hooked on the Oatly Barista milk since I switched to a vegan diet a few week ago but the price of it (not to mention inclusion of some phosphate ingredients) makes me think it would be worth trying to make my own. I've tried a few attempts using oats and rapeseed oil along with some maple syrup to sweeten but am just guessing at the ingredient amounts as I don't think there is any way to reverse engineer that without inside knowledge. I'd prefer to avoid the dipotassium phosphate, calcium phosphate and calcium carbonate if poss but I suspect that these might be fundamental to the taste. The first one is listed on Oatly's list of ingredients as an acidity regulator and in their description it helps it "perform to the professional expectations of baristas". I've also found the coconut alternatives to overpowering (especially in a cup of tea) but will pick up some
    http://rebel-kitchen.com/products/mylk/
    the next time I'm up in Newry to see if that's any better. I think that if there was a similar tasting homemade alternative to the Oatly Barista milk it could help people who choose for whatever reason to not drink cow's milk. I'll keep experimenting with small batches using our Thermomix and will share any success stories but any tips on ingredients, amounts or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

What are you using to froth your milks?
    I saw a review recently for the Bodum Latteo milk frother on amazon and someone said they were able to use it with plain old soya milk. Never tried it myself.

Edited to say that it may be cheaper switching frothers than milk in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Muggins

There's no problem frothing Soya or Coconut milk but something needs to be added to oat milk to get it to perform (acidity regulator ?). The taste of the Oatly Barista milk is way superior to anything else I've tried in a latte IMHO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Weyhey wrote: »
    What are you using to froth your milks?
    I saw a review recently for the Bodum Latteo milk frother on amazon and someone said they were able to use it with plain old soya milk. Never tried it myself.

Edited to say that it may be cheaper switching frothers than milk in the long run.

My friend has a nespresso frother that cost a good bit (about €100), just uses cheap soy milk and it's SO frothy, it's just like going to a café. You'd save the money back on milk very fast. 80c per litre vs €2-€2.5. It also heats the milk which is very handy.

Advertisement