Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mig welder in lidl

Options
  • 16-01-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the welder lidl have in is any good? Say for light work car body/chassis/exhaust work kind of work

Fact its a mig and the 3 year guarantee is swaying me to get one but if its only a toy not worth while

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

If it's gasless leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭gk5000

kay 9 wrote: »
    If it's gasless leave it there
    Would it be ok for an amateur hobbyist - to attempts the sills of a car?
    What are its limitations/drawbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

gk5000 wrote: »
    Would it be ok for an amateur hobbyist - to attempts the sills of a car?
    What are its limitations/drawbacks?

It would be grand for having, and doing odd jobs with, but it's starting a bit at the deep end if you go straight for a massless MIG. A bit of practice will have you making nice welds, but it is a lot harder than using a standard MIG welder. It will be the right thing to use for fixing your exhausts and body panels, however I would go with something a bit thicker for learning on

MIG is certainly the easiest to get good at. Arc is the easiest to weld badly with, but teaches you a lot about welding. Gassless MIG, I'm not too good at, I find it splutters and spits, but I guess if you learn on it, it will be easier to pick up MIG, and there is no need to be renting a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I paid 170 for a clarke 90amp gasless one. And did the sills on a couple of cars with it. I'm not good at it and have had an arc welder for a few years.

I'd get that one if I didn't have the clarke one. But would much prefer a gas one or a gasless that you can convert to gas.

The clarke one is sh!te because the wire is constantly getting stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Yeah its a gasless one which I thought would be handier didn't think it would be harder to weld with now

It would be for hidden work like sills an exhausts an stuff which isn't seen an sure can grind down whatever needs to be

But this a 90amp machine i just wanna know if it be fit even for light work on an that or would I just be wasting money with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

canhefixit wrote: »
    Yeah its a gasless one which I thought would be handier didn't think it would be harder to weld with now

It would be for hidden work like sills an exhausts an stuff which isn't seen an sure can grind down whatever needs to be

But this a 90amp machine i just wanna know if it be fit even for light work on an that or would I just be wasting money with it

Personally id say you are wasting your time .
    Buy half price buy twice.

A few years ago i bought an arc welder in aldi or lidl for 60 euros thinking how bad could it be. It would burn 4 rods and overheat , when it cooled it would burn 1 rod and overheat .

Save your money and buy something better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

The amps should be fine.You only need about 25 - 30 amps for doing sills. Anything higher and you'll just melt everything.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Pieces of ****e, there not operated by gas either so another reason why not to buy. If you know how to weld proper an like doing nice work you won't go near them.
    Save your money fella
    canhefixit wrote: »
    Anyone know if the welder lidl have in is any good? Say for light work car body/chassis/exhaust work kind of work

Fact its a mig and the 3 year guarantee is swaying me to get one but if its only a toy not worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

I have this Clarke machine for 10yrs.

Works fine - never had any trouble with it but generally only did inner sills and door bottoms, pieces of floor etc...

I think you are better off spending a little more than the lidl one....

Bear in mind, you also need eye protection.... (its as important as the welder)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/151te-turbo-mig-welder/

Advertisement