Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advance on upgrading gaming computer

Options
  • 15-01-2017 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

I first got my PC around 4 years ago. Here are my specs: http://imgur.com/a/lHls3

I was looking to improve my computer, because I can hardly run any high graphic games. What should I improve/What is outdated, and what would be your suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Fire an SSD in there. Pick up a new GPU and grab an i7 2600K secondhand once you see one at a sensible price. Good to go for another 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cassidy3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I first got my PC around 4 years ago. Here are my specs: http://imgur.com/a/lHls3

I was looking to improve my computer, because I can hardly run any high graphic games. What should I improve/What is outdated, and what would be your suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

i5-2500k €75 on CEX
    Crucial MX300 SSD (275 or 525Gb)
    A modern 2-3Tb HDD
    AMD RX 470 4Gb (if you have a good PSU), Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (if you don't/don't know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just the graphics card needs to be upgraded. Your i5 is old but still pretty decent, it's the low-end graphics card holding you back. I wouldn't be in a rush to replace the i5.

Get a GTX1050 2GB (€130), GTX1050Ti 4GB (€160ish) or GTX1060 3GB (€200ish)/6GB (€250ish) budget depending and you will see a massive improvement.

I would avoid AMD cards simply because there are tons of issues with older motherboards - not every board, but enough that I would stick with Nvidia for older socket types.

Agree with SSD if budget allows, but I feel if you want to upgrade the processor down the line, get an i7-2600, CEX sell them for €110 with 2 year warranty and it's still fairly top-end for the latest games despite its age. But again, your current i5 is pretty OK.

Advertisement