Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timetable/course opinion.

Options
  • 15-01-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

hi i am currently a mature student at Carlow I.F.E, doing a P.L.C course. i am considering furthering my studies at Carlow College and this course sparked my interest.
    http://www.carlowcollege.ie/Courses/Citizenship-and-Community-Studies/BA-Hons-in-Citizenship-and-Community-Studies

Has any one here entered/completed this course. What was your opinion on it if so.

Also if any current/past students have a copy of a timetable for it, would it be possible for you to PM me it, as i wish to see is it suitable for me. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

For this year 2016-17

Mondays 11 - 13.00
    Tuesday Off
    Wed 9-11.00 15-16.00
    Thurs 9-13.00 14-16.00
    Friday 9-11.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Wow. Thanks for that. The hours are very short,with one day free. why is that? Is it case of a lot of self learning at home/in the library.
    If you are in it what's your opinion of the course.thanks again.

hadepsx wrote: »
    Wow. Thanks for that. The hours are very short,with one day free. why is that? Is it case of a lot of self learning at home/in the library.
    If you are in it what's your opinion of the course.thanks again.

No, im not doing that course, doing Social Care but we share some modules. Don't know much about the course but i know there are only 2 students in 3rd year and its a small class every year.

There would be a lot of self learning and reading to do in your own time.

Cheers for the information. How are you finding your own course and Carlow college as a whole?.

hadepsx wrote: »
    Cheers for the information. How are you finding your own course and Carlow college as a whole?.

My own course is tough enough going, placement means we have a year's work to get through in half the time. If you are able to do some work everyday and not leave it to the last minute that's half the battle.

As for the college, the academic staff are excellent and something I ve come across from outside it is the reputation the college has for both its staff and the standard of its student. But, the college is very lacking in other ways, the canteen/dining hall is very basic and some of the class rooms need refurbishment. Just my own opinion but I find there is a disconnect between the student union and the students.

In terms of facilities the I.t. is years ahead but for the academic side I prefer Carlow college

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Good info to know there. I wouldn't have any problems with assignments as at the moment I'm way ahead of the rest in my course in that regard. Although most of them are 18/19 so understandable, whereas I'm a good bit older and matured. I've been told Carlow college would have a more older student population than say Carlow I.T. . Is that the case in your opinion?

Yeah, the split is probably 50/50 overall but the community studies would be nearly all mature students based on the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Owryan wrote: »
    My own course is tough enough going, placement means we have a year's work to get through in half the time. If you are able to do some work everyday and not leave it to the last minute that's half the battle.

As for the college, the academic staff are excellent and something I ve come across from outside it is the reputation the college has for both its staff and the standard of its student. But, the college is very lacking in other ways, the canteen/dining hall is very basic and some of the class rooms need refurbishment. Just my own opinion but I find there is a disconnect between the student union and the students.

In terms of facilities the I.t. is years ahead but for the academic side I prefer Carlow college

The bit in bold, about the grub?

Terribly fussy aren't we? :)

I love the scran there & I'm neither staff nor student but pop in when I can; love the variety, availability & service too as well as value.

Admittedly it's not the IT where I work but that's down to level of footfall when it comes to price differential, difference in levels of variety.

Having lived on campus in Carlow College, done Community Games there also (showing my age now) I always thought it'd a touch of Dead Poets Society to it (in a good way).

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The bit in bold, about the grub?

Terribly fussy aren't we? :)

I love the scran there & I'm neither staff nor student but pop in when I can; love the variety, availability & service too as well as value.

Admittedly it's not the IT where I work but that's down to level of footfall when it comes to price differential, difference in levels of variety.

Having lived on campus in Carlow College, done Community Games there also (showing my age now) I always thought it'd a touch of Dead Poets Society to it (in a good way).

Not fussy, but the dining hall is basic, as for the food it's fine but there is not much variety. It has improved in the last year or 2 tho. The only time i ve heard someone using the word "scran" to describe food was taking the queens shilling.

Advertisement