Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question re special offer.

Options
  • 15-01-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

If you purchase an item from a Argos say a tomtom sat nav and at the time of purchase argos inform you that is a special offer on that anyone purchasing the sat nav is also entitled to another tomtom product free of charge but to get the item you have to apply to tomtom with proof of purchase.

Which company Argos or tomtom are responsible for supplying the free item. The contact would be with Argos so I'm thinking they are but perhaps I'm wrong. Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

If you have to send the proof of purchase to tomtom then it's up to them to supply you with whatever the item is. If you don't want it don't send it.

If Argos were giving you the item they wouldn't be asking you to deal with a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Argos would have some responsibility, as you say the contact is with them, the issue would be how much - that would be decided by the surrounding facts. I'm imputing that said freebie actually isn't available for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's with TomTom.

\close thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Argos would have some responsibility, as you say the contact is with them, the issue would be how much - that would be decided by the surrounding facts.

Its hypothetical at the moment. The full story is that over xmas argos ran a special offer on a Tomtom sat nav selling it for €60 . the original value is over €400. On the Argos page for the item it had a special offer valid until tomorrow that anyone buying the sat nav was entitled to a free Tomtom Curver which is valued at €60 .

To get this special offer i had to upload the serial number of the sat nav and a copy of the receipt to a page on the Tomtom site which I did.

I can check the status of my application on their site and its status is invalid proof of purchase supplied , I sent a scan of the Argos receipt so it can not be invalid so I'm assuming Tomtom do not wish to honor the special offer. I have mailed them for clarification for the reason behind the refusal and am just trying to figure out my next move if as I suspect they do not reply perhaps I should contact Argos .

I have screenshots of the special offer and the receipt as proof of purchase.

I got the impression it was something like that.

It's not as clear cut as people might suggest but Argos should be getting involved in trying to sort it out for you. Hopefully it'll all be sorted simply so I'll spare you my musings... for now.

• Advertisement

What have tomtom said in your contact with them?

What have tomtom said in your contact with them?

I have not received any reply to my email to them which is why I say its hypothetical at the moment. I only mailed them on thursday so perhaps they will get back to me this week. I can see the current status of my claim on their site and it says invalid proof of purchase supplied on there which is raising my suspicion that all is not well..

The offer ends tomorrow so I'm suspicious they may be playing for time.

here's a link to the item and special offer

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=6200&authToken=

The Muppet wrote: »
    I have not received any reply to my email to them which is why I say its hypothetical at the moment. I only mailed them on thursday so perhaps they will get back to me this week. I can see the current status of my claim on their site and it says invalid proof of purchase supplied on there.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=6200&authToken=

Sorry in my haste I should have said you should try and give them reasonable time and ensure you've done everything asked. A lot of the time there can be very easy solutions by just asking. It's worth making sure everything was correct from your side before the offer ends, just in case.

Sorry in my haste I should have said you should try and give them reasonable time and ensure you've done everything asked. A lot of the time there can be very easy solutions by just asking. It's worth making sure everything was correct from your side before the offer ends, just in case.

Thanks, I checked the tomtom site and I have sent everything they requested ie serial number on device, an image of serial number and an image of the argos receipt. I know its too early to be raising it as an issue really , I only posted here to see when my problem lies if tomtom don't honour the offer because i will chase it up as a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Assuming you bought from Argus Ireland then I'm sure TomTom will honour it. I've found after sales very good with TomTom. If you bought from Argus UK then it's possible that the TomTom offer was for UK only

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Assuming you bought from Argus Ireland then I'm sure TomTom will honour it. I've found after sales very good with TomTom. If you bought from Argus UK then it's possible that the TomTom offer was for UK only

I bought it in Ireland their Ashbourne store. That link I posted with the special offer still available is on their Irish site.

One issue that does spring to mind is that model is €439. If there was a mistake and you got it for €60 you're going to have a hard time establishing that you only bought the item due to the offer of the freebie! I've been wrong on misrep once already this week so I'll not advance my thinking on this any further just yet! :pac:

One issue that does spring to mind is that model is €439. If there was a mistake and you got it for €60 you're going to have a hard time establishing that you only bought the item due to the offer of the freebie! I've been wrong on misrep once already this week so I'll not advance my thinking on this any further just yet! :pac:

Oh would i have to establish that the special offer was the reason I purchased.

Actually it was a factor as my son is learning to drive and I though the carver would be useful and I all ready had a decent sat nav .

I have not received any reply to my email to them which is why I say its hypothetical at the moment. I only mailed them on thursday so perhaps they will get back to me this week. I can see the current status of my claim on their site and it says invalid proof of purchase supplied on there which is raising my suspicion that all is not well..

OK so there's no issue yet and no reason to involve Argos. Companies usually ask for at least 2-3 working days for a response which would be Tuesday before you'd need to send them a follow up email.

The end of the offer has no relevance you bought it well within the time frame.
    I think you're jumping the gun when there's obviously some kind of mistake that will be rectified when they get back in touch with you.
    Give them a chance.

Actually it was a factor as my son is learning to drive and I though the carver would be useful and I all ready had a decent sat nav .

It'd be the argument I'd forward but others may have better insights. I have to admit I think you'd struggle to get anywhere if you paid less than 20% of the items normal price. It might also be why TomTom think the PoP is invalid. Hopefully you'll be able to clear it up with them and have scored a double bargain.

OK so there's no issue yet and no reason to involve Argos. Companies usually ask for at least 2-3 working days for a response which would be Tuesday before you'd need to send them a follow up email.

The end of the offer has no relevance you bought it well within the time frame.
    I think you're jumping the gun when there's obviously some kind of mistake that will be rectified when they get back in touch with you.
    Give them a chance.

I understand its early but there is an issue as things stand, the status of invalid proof of purchase supplied is an issue whether they rectify that in follow up emails remains to be seen.

No you don't, of course not. It's irrelevant why you bought it you're entitled to receive the special offer if you want it.

Just wait till Tuesday then follow up but they are a big company and mistakes happen. Don't worry.

It'd be the argument I'd forward but others may have better insights. I have to admit I think you'd struggle to get anywhere if you paid less than 20% of the items normal price. It might also be why TomTom think the PoP is invalid. Hopefully you'll be able to clear it up with them and have scored a double bargain.

I have a screen shot of the item at sale price on the argos site on the day it was available, It was also posted on the bargains thread here. It was XMas Day, I though it was tomtom's /argos way of saying merry xmas to me.:)

I have a screen shot of the item at sale price on the argos site on the day it was available, It was also posted on the bargains thread here. It was XMas Day, I though it was tomtom's /argos way of saying merry xmas to me.:)

If they didn't raise it as a mistake and it just went through their tills then I assume it's their problem, I was thinking something along the lines of a manual mark down. Open to correction there.

I'm struggling to see how you'd force the issue though. The item is as described, there was an additional bonus item which prompted you to buy the main item. Argos wouldn't have to offer a refund. However given the mistake as to price I'm sure they'd be only too happy to get it back!

If they didn't raise it as a mistake and it just went through their tills then I assume it's their problem, I was thinking something along the lines of a manual mark down. Open to correction there.

I'm struggling to see how you'd force the issue though. The item is as described, there was an additional bonus item which prompted you to buy the main item. Argos wouldn't have to offer a refund. However given the mistake as to price I'm sure they'd be only too happy to get it back!

Yeah , that wont be happening.

• Advertisement

Yeah , that wont be happening.

Might have just blown up your other assertion there though :pac:

notjustsweet is right on the wait and see front. It's a bit premature to be worrying just yet. Keep us updated?

Might have just blown up your other assertion there though :pac:

notjustsweet is right on the wait and see front. It's a bit premature to be worrying just yet. Keep us updated?

Ah I've grown to love it since I got it, I couldn't part with it now. :pac:

I will keep this updated if I hear back from tomtom

Here's an update on this.

Following the advice I received I cancelled my initial claim as I noticed Argos put the date on the very bottom of the receipt and perhaps the image of the receipt I submitted did not show this.

I made a new claim with a new image of the full Argos receipt, I received this mail this morning.
    "When we reviewed your claim, we noticed that we are missing a valid receipt/proof of purchase. As this is a crucial element for us to be able to approve your claim, we need you to re-supply this information to us. You can upload your receipt, by clicking here and entering your username and password."

"Just to remind you, we will need to receive the updated information within the next ten (10) business days.

What is a valid receipt?
    A valid receipt must clearly show the name of the retailer, the price of the product you purchased, the name of the product you purchased and the date you purchased the product."

I have just resubmitted the receipt but this time I have outlined the four pieces of information requested of a vaild receipt, perhaps they are missing the date down the bottom.

We'll see what happens next.

My claim status now has "Non compliance with T&C" in the comment section. I've read their T & C and havn't got a clue where they are going with that.

No replies to any of my emails yet apart from an automated response saying they have received my email.

Call them then or use live chat.
    No offence meant but posting here isn't going to solve it....

Call them then or use live chat.
    No offence meant but posting here isn't going to solve it....

Eh I know that, Its the consumer Issues forum, I have a consumer issue so whats the problem with posting it here.

Eh I know that, Its the consumer Issues forum, I have a consumer issue so whats the problem with posting it here.

The point being try to solve it instead of complaining. Emails aren't working so call them.

You said you don't want to return the original product for a refund so your only option is to try and resolve it. A huge company takes time to deal with email issues (as I've said) calling them will get you an answer immediately so I'm slightly baffled why you haven't done this TBH.

The point being try to solve it instead of complaining. Emails aren't working so call them.

You said you don't want to return the original product for a refund so your only option is to try and resolve it. A huge company takes time to deal with email issues (as I've said) calling them will get you an answer immediately so I'm slightly baffled why you haven't done this TBH.

What's wrong with email? We both have copies of those, I won't have a copy of phone conversation should I wish to pursue my issue elsewhere.

What's the point of this forum if not for posts like this?

I'm in no hurry.

I'm in no hurry.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement