Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

as a consumer how you supposed to dispose of Polystyrene Packaging

Options
  • 15-01-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭

Hope I have right section:

What do you peeps do with this polystyrene packaging, it's a bleeding nuisance so it is. Can't put it in landfill bin, can't put it in recycling bin.... What are you supposed to do with it? It's just accumulated over amount of time when I've bought new stuff with packaging and I've just been hoarding it, but now it's long overdue getting rid of!

15941146_10211101311542525_2793236400303460917_n.jpg?oh=e010c3e35f236b53030e0dfb2aaf8822&oe=58D9896D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

My local council tip (in Cork) seems to accept it. The didn't have a dedicated skip just a pile of polys. in a corner.
    Have you contacted your council? It might prompt them to action if they've not got a facility already.
    (Nasty stuff! I want to refill a bean-bag but I'm loth to actually buy polys. beads.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

There's a bin for polystyrene in my nearest recycling centre, too - Ballyogan, in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown.
    South County Dublin, a bit far from Sligo!
    But you could write to your Co Co?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What do the County Council do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What do the County Council do with it?

I wrote email to Sligo coco today and got an email reply saying none of the centres have facility for separate polystyrene and to put it into landfill rubbish ... with my environmental hat on though I am a bit against doing that because it must take years and years to break down , but if thats the only way I can get rid of it I suppose thats what I will have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I wrote email to Sligo coco today and got an email reply saying none of the centres have facility for separate polystyrene and to put it into landfill rubbish ... with my environmental hat on though I am a bit against doing that because it must take years and years to break down , but if thats the only way I can get rid of it I suppose thats what I will have to do

That's a pity. They do have a bin for in at the recycling centre near the Kinsale Road Roundabout in Cork so there must be some market for it in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

Dissolves in petrol to make a crude napalm... could use it as a firelighter or something? Probably very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

What did you buy that was packed with it? I think the company who sold it to you must accept it back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think it can be shredded and reused as insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

er, just heat it up and it practically goes away, HEAT, not burn.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pop along to your nearest Power City where they have cages at the doors for packaging and leave it in the cage (I know they're supposed to be for stuff you bought in Power City, but there's nobody checking what goes in the cage). Presumably they have an environmentally friendly way of disposing of the packaging. Other electrical retailers may have something similar.

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    What did you buy that was packed with it? I think the company who sold it to you must accept it back.....

ah just built up over the years , just general box packaging on new items bought

beauf wrote: »
    I think it can be shredded and reused as insulation.

you would think so wouldn't you? - they should, although it would all have to be fire treated and everything, if you set alight to this stuff not only would the fumes be toxic i should imagine, as well as being very flammable

Advertisement