Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please: Should I move to Dublin from Galway?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

A bit of background on me. 21, live at home with Mum & Dad in Galway city and have done so for my whole life including the 4 years of college. I've been working with a firm in Galway since september. I Live relatively close to the office.

I might have the opportunity to move to work with the same firm in the Dublin office (located in citywest) in March. Looking for advice on whether it is/isn't a good idea to move. I Have a group of friends that were hired at the same as me who are definitely going to Dublin so it will be a big change when they all leave Galway in March. The main thing that is putting me off Dublin is the rent prices. Friends from work have been looking at houses and cant seem to find anything lower than 700 per month and even some of those options don't look good.

I do hope to move out of the family home if I stay in Galway but because of the location of the house it might be difficult to find something worth my while.

Honestly, the only reason for me to stay in Galway is family/friends and the cost of rent in Dublin.

Is it stupid to use the cost of rent in Dublin as an excuse?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dublin is a great place to be as a young lad. Get a group of you together and rent a house.

Only concern I would have is your office location. Citywest can be a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dara_con wrote: »

Definitely not in my opinion, I think even the cost of rent is the second part - the first is actually finding somewhere and getting a deposit down at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Definitely not in my opinion, I think even the cost of rent is the second part - the first is actually finding somewhere and getting a deposit down at the moment.

are houseshares that in demand

dublin is a great spot but only if you can afford it.

youd be crazy to leave home and galway without having a significant payrise to justify it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I went from saving over a grand each month (EASILY) while living at home and working in Waterford to being able to save about 200-300 a month while working/renting in Dublin (With about four grands worth of a pay increase). Just be aware that you simply can't save anywhere near a decent amount of money if you're living in Dublin because of the landlords.

That said, I am living in a one-bedroom tiny apartment for 850 a month. You could get your rent down a good bit if you lived with others and it wouldn't be too bad. It's not for me though, I had one too many bad housemates in my first house and it completely soured the idea of living with strangers for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For your own self development I would say definitely move to Dublin. You're in a comfort zone of in Galway and if you stay there much longer it'll turn into a deep inescapable rut.

For your own self development I would say definitely move to Dublin. You're in a comfort zone of in Galway and if you stay there much longer it'll turn into a deep inescapable rut.

I should have also mentioned this in my post, but yeah there'll definitely be a lot of new experiences in Dublin. New people too, you'll learn a lot outside of work as well.

Learn to cook before leaving! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You won't find a house in Dublin. Move out of the mothers and rent in Galway instead.

RasTa wrote: »
    You won't find a house in Dublin. Move out of the mothers and rent in Galway instead.

daft is filled with 1000 of houseshares

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Could you and your friends who are moving rent together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

I would say yes, do it. Galway is only an hour and a half up the road and you are young enough that you can always return in a few years.

You need to think about the "leverage effect" of living in a city with more opportunities. In other words you would be in danger of being stuck in a rut in Galway, while in Dublin there are more opportunities for advancement and for self development. Never mind the higher rent in Dublin, there are more promotion opportunities in Dublin and there are more likely to be pay rises for Dublin based roles. If i were you i'd rent a room in Dublin for about 600 euro which should allow you to live a decent life, enjoy yourself and save a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

doc11 wrote: »
    are houseshares that in demand

Going by some groups on Facebook - yes. People willing to share rooms with 2 or 3 bunk beds... one I seen on cider blocks to allow their suitcases aka wardrobes under the beds!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Fair warning, cost of living in Dublin is a lot higher. This site isn't perfect but gives a bit of a feel for how much of a difference you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Get up to Dublin , you should live in a city at least once in your life and we only really have one of those in this country

City west is fine , you will probably find more affordable accommodation in that general direction than most other parts of Dublin and you are on the Luas line so handy to get in and out of town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dublin is great and all, but I don't think you're in a bad spot to begin with! Renting is a dirty and expensive business at the moment in the capital and Citywest is a bit of a pain to get to. Galway is a great city too, but having grown up there, you're unlikely to appreciate that. I've lived in a lot of places including Galway and I'd be in no rush to leave it if I was set up there.

For the sake of moving with your workmates for a new experience, on the face of it I'd say it isn't worth it. However, if it was a case that your employer was willing to let you go to Dublin for just a year initially, I'd say give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'd agree with the posters who say go for it. Yes, you'll have way less disposable income but the points regarding career opportunities as well as personal development are very valid imo. When all your friends move to Dublin and you're still in Galway living with your parents I suspect you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the opportunity.

I got a job in Citywest a year ago and moved to Smithfield in to a house share from south Dublin suburbs. I commute to work each day on the luas and it's not bad at all. Despite having much less disposable income, my quality of life is much better as I'm walking distance to pretty much everything and all my friends live in or around town so I have a social life during the week as well as the weekend.

You can keep going over the logical aspects and ultimately decide to stay for the financial aspect and that's your call and it might be the right choice for you but ultimately I think it's important to take risks and come out of your comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dara_con

Appreciate all the responses from everyone. I do think that the points made regarding career opportunities and personal development are important. There is a large group of people from work that are moving to Dublin. But I do feel that when I think about the situation, I constantly leave out that fact that I am from Galway and do have friends from Galway also, as well as those in work. In addition, in my mind I have this great picture painted of Dublin and I fear if it is anything less it will be disappointing and I will regret moving. I was also informed that if a position opens up in Galway, I will have to apply for it as a normal job opening.

What area do you work in?

I.T.

Are you good at it? Plenty of IT companies in Galway if you wished to return and you could earn decent money in Dublin. But If it was basic it support I'd worry about competing for jobs in Galway if I wanted home. For all the talk about being in a rut in Galway you could be equally stuck in a rut in Dublin with near half your paycheck going on rent

• Advertisement

I'd like to think so. No not I.T. support. Software Engineer. Yes that is a very good point to take into account. I wouldn't want to live like that.

If you're a software dev, or even any kind of techie (Not working in a call center) then for the love of god move to Dublin. There are so many meetups here that you could feed yourself on meetup host food at least once a week.

LOTS of different jobs up here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

dara_con wrote: »
    Honestly, the only reason for me to stay in Galway is family/friends and the cost of rent in Dublin.

Only? Friends are family are two very good reasons to stay, and the cost of rent and living is a very good reason not to go.

If you think you will regret not doing Dublin, feel like you missed out socially or limited professionally ... now would be the best time. Otherwise, Galway is hardly somewhere to flee from at first opportunity. The grass is not always greener.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

For me it would depend on money. 20k in dublin=no fun. tax,rent,travel to work/home would eat into that salary.

Did you make a decision

Advertisement