Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you wash china into a dishwasher?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Cleaning out the attic and a box of china cups and saucers were found in the attic. Given as a wedding present to my parents back in the late 70s.

My mam gave them a hand wash and now has the dishwasher loaded including all this china. My worry is that this is going to break in the machine. Couldn't give a rat's ass about the china to be honest. My concern is for the dishwasher. I don't want to be picking up pieces of broken china from the dishwashers floor and I don't want the machine to pack up on us either.

Can you put china into the dishwasher for a wash? Gifted back in the 70s, there is no information on the plates with dishwasher/microwave safe that you can find often on these kind of things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

No. India perhaps but not china

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wouldn't put that china in a dishwasher. Just not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Wash them individually by hand, you lazy useless prick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How big is the dishwasher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I'd be afraid of the pattern washing off the china more than the stuff breaking...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

On a more serious note: they could be but if they're from the 70s then they were probably never tested in the dishwasher at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Why do the same handful of people keep using After Hours as a search engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

s4uv3 wrote: »
    I'd be afraid of the pattern washing off the china more than the stuff breaking...

I doubt my mam cares for the stuff to be honest considering they were left in the attic and forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Peregrine wrote: »
    On a more serious note: they could be but if they're from the 70s then they were probably never tested in the dishwasher at all.

Dishwashers have been around longer than you think. Invented in 1886.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

It would need to be a big dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Doyler92 wrote: »
    It would need to be a big dishwasher.

Ah, so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

I wouldn't. We wash our good cups in bubbly warm water with a soft sponge, and our good cups came free with tokens collected from milk cartons many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Flimpson wrote: »
    Why do the same handful of people keep using After Hours as a search engine?

I was thinking the same 'I would google that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

China china china china china china china china china china china china china china china china china.

China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was thinking the same 'I would google that'.
    They probably googled 'where are the biggest shower of knowalls on the internet?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

They probably googled 'where are the biggest shower of knowalls on the internet?'
    China?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

AH, answering all your household cleaning questions since 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

Dishwashers have been around longer than you think. Invented in 1886.
    I can remember reading once that the dishwasher was invented because the fella''s kitchen maids used to keep breaking the china and he wanted a machine that would be more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Archeron wrote: »
    I wouldn't. We wash our good cups in bubbly warm water with a soft sponge, and our good cups came free with tokens collected from milk cartons many years ago.

Oh to have good cups.
    We used to take turns with an old Nutella jar one of our fathers found in a ditch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

alan1963 wrote: »
    I can remember reading once that the dishwasher was invented because the fella''s kitchen maids used to keep breaking the china and he wanted a machine that would be more careful.

Damn machines putting humans out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

If that china was made in China, it'll be rank crap anyway. Charidy shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Great bunch of dishwashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hang on OP. If your mum has already hand washed them. Why do you want to wash them again?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Hang on OP. If your mum has already hand washed them. Why do you want to wash them again?
    So that he could start a thread!

Advertisement