Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maine Coon

Options
  • 15-01-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I would love a Maine Coon, always wanted one & am in early stages of thinking about following up. I've three beautiful moggie rescues and, ordinarily speaking I wouldn't consider buying a cat when there are so many in need of homes... bit conflicted about the idea of following up on getting one...

Does anyone have one? I understand they can be a higher maintenance & insurance will be more expensive. I'm happy to wait a few years to source one appropriately from a breeder, I've looked into some poeople in Ireland but haven't contacted anyone yet.

I know this can be touchy but we are firmly in the camp of allowing our cats some outside time, never at night or at dawn or dusk (in consideration for the birds) but definitely access to the great outdoors during the day, not sure if this is the 'done thing' with a Maine coon, in people's experience are they typically inside only?

I'd be very grateful to hear from those with experience of the breed for any tips? Google is great, but no match for personal experience!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't own one but have met lots and they are fabulous cats :) grooming wise they would be a bit higher maintenance than a short haired moggie so get them used to brushing from day one!
    There are lots of really good breeders of Maine coon in Ireland, one breeder with fab cats would be Ishcus Maine coon (could be spelled wrong!) so it might be worth looking her up!
    As regards indoors/outdoors, most breeders would have a contract stating indoor only homes so if outdoor access was something that really was a must for you I'd look into making a catio outdoor enclosure. I'm in the process of getting one made at the moment and they're a lot easier than you'd think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Like SillyMango I don't have a Maine Coon, but I've met a fair few. I would love to have one in the future. I do have a pedigree cat that I bought from a reputable breeder, so I know a little about that process. Don't feel conflicted; it's very difficult to find a purebred cat in a rescue, much moreso than dogs. In the US, 53% of dogs are mixed breeds compared to 95% of cats being "domestic shorthairs" (aka moggies). I've had rescue cats all of my life, including my other cat, and I love rescues. But sometimes you learn about these beautiful breeds and you can't help it - you just want one and you want that experience.

You might be able to find a cat that looks like a certain pedigree in a rescue. So if it's the look of the Maine Coon you're drawn to, it wouldn't hurt to check rescues for large, long-haired cats (although that would be hard to find since long hairs are much rarer and tend to get snatched up first).

A few things about buying a pedigree cat :

1. Most purebred litters are kept strictly indoors or if they are let out, it's onto an enclosed "catio." Every breeder I've met expects this to be the same in any home they send a cat to.
    2. Most breeders want the cat returned to them if for some reason you cannot keep it.
    3. Depending on if the cat is showable or not, they may have a spay/neuter policy.
    4. You can get a decent deal on a pedigree cat if you're willing to accept a non-show quality cat. These "flaws" are usually small things that have no effect on the cat's health - crossed eyes, wrong coloring or coat pattern, kink in the tail, etc.
    5. On the other hand if you fall in love with a kitten who is super show quality, the breeder might have a condition that the cat be shown for a few years.
    6. The breeder will likely follow up with you for the next few months. A reputable breeder looks to place their cats in good homes, regardless of their show-ability.
    7. You will get papers tracing lineage and proving the pedigree of your cat. This is the real difference between a pedigree and a moggie. You can find a short haired, green eyed, gray cat in a rescue - that doesn't make it a Russian Blue (and there's more to Russian Blues than those traits).

Hope this helps in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Coons are super! Gentle giants with sweet personalities. The boys can be huge up to 10kg, girls are significantly smaller.

The do require grooming especially around the time they aged their winter coat and then again when it grows back in. I brush my guy once a month normally and during the shed /grow time I would groom once a week. They can also require bathing but they like water so it's not too bad. :-)

Most breeders require indoor only, some breeders will neuter before homing whether it's show quality or not.
    You shouldn't pay any different price for show quality v pet quality to be honest. You also should get paper work Inc vac cert, registration papers and lineage.

Insurance I think all peds are slightly higher than a moggie but nothing major. Healthwise whatever breeder you look at should have their cats scanned for Hcm (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and for hip dysplasia.

They don't tend to cost more to feed as they are lazy cats lol. I find my bsh eats a lot more than my coon despite being half the size!

I got my guy from Ishcus cats almost 11 yrs ago and I would definitely go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭mistybluehills

I don't own one but have met lots and they are fabulous cats :) grooming wise they would be a bit higher maintenance than a short haired moggie so get them used to brushing from day one!
    There are lots of really good breeders of Maine coon in Ireland, one breeder with fab cats would be Ishcus Maine coon (could be spelled wrong!) so it might be worth looking her up!
    As regards indoors/outdoors, most breeders would have a contract stating indoor only homes so if outdoor access was something that really was a must for you I'd look into making a catio outdoor enclosure. I'm in the process of getting one made at the moment and they're a lot easier than you'd think!

Can I ask why a pedigree can't be let outdoors??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Can I ask why a pedigree can't be let outdoors??

Most breeders would subscribe to the idea that being allowed to roam outside isn't safe for cats. They can be exposed to diseases, get into fights, get run over on the street, etc. In the US, it's not just breeders, but virtually all rescues and shelters make you sign a contract stating that the cat will be indoors only. Not everyone abides by the terms, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Most breeders would subscribe to the idea that being allowed to roam outside isn't safe for cats. They can be exposed to diseases, get into fights, get run over on the street, etc. In the US, it's not just breeders, but virtually all rescues and shelters make you sign a contract stating that the cat will be indoors only. Not everyone abides by the terms, of course.

Not to mention the fact that a pedigree, or a cat that can pass for a pedigree, would be a target for thieves who could sell it on.

Thanks. Thought being outside is kinder on the cat, t bh, let's them express their normal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Absolutely love Maine Coons - could I be cheeky and ask how much a kitten or adult cat might cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Main Coons are gorgeous, I bought one last year from a breeder here. Unfortunately she got cancer and had to be put down after 5 months. If I ever get over the fear of losing a cat (and 600e plus vet costs), I'll definitely want a MC again. They're like dogs without the hassle of having to walk them

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Thanks for the various tips!
    I'm still torn but will keep looking into breeders etc... I had a feeling the indoor/ outdoor thing might be a consideration!

As it happens, our youngest female of our three is just about a grownup cat, which has started a bit of a turf-war with her older housemate! So there won't be any additions until we get them settled down again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Shivi111 wrote: »
    I'm still torn but will keep looking into breeders etc... I had a feeling the indoor/ outdoor thing might be a consideration!

As it happens, our youngest female of our three is just about a grownup cat, which has started a bit of a turf-war with her older housemate! So there won't be any additions until we get them settled down again :rolleyes:
    if your kitty has never been outside he/she will be perfectly happy to stay inside and not miss a thing. Pedigree cats are prone(er) to be stolen as they are worth money to the right person...just don't take the risk. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

if your kitty has never been outside he/she will be perfectly happy to stay inside and not miss a thing. Pedigree cats are prone(er) to be stolen as they are worth money to the right person...just don't take the risk. :-)

I think it depends on the kitty!
    Our first was indoor only for the first 18months of his life with lots of play & enrichment and a indoor companion (& he was neutered), - but he was truly miserable for the outside world, he escaped one day and literally frolicked in the garden :)

Seeing the difference in his overall contentment converted us from completely indoor kittys to allowing them out and about. Ho-hum, there are so many considerations but I'll just never forget his sheer joy at getting out. (in contrast my sister has a indoor female who is quite content, guess its a personality thing!).

I get the sense in keeping a pedigree indoors because of the risk of them being stolen (among the other risks/ problems with letting cats out), but I have a feeling this may be a reason I don't go ahead with getting one... still thinking about the pros and cons!

Shivi111 wrote: »

I don't want to antagonize anybody, but I think outdoor access for a cat is an absolute necessity so that they can perform normal cat behaviours like perching climbing and hunting. Unless of course you put very serious thought into providing these things indoor- as some people do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I don't want to antagonize anybody, but I think outdoor access for a cat is an absolute necessity so that they can perform normal cat behaviours like perching climbing and hunting. Unless of course you put very serious thought into providing these things indoor- as some people do

Outdoor access is fine once you can ensure the cat's safety. A friend of mine has a huge run attached to her house that looks like one of those aviaries at a zoo and a small flap in her kitchen for the cats that leads out. They get to prowl, climb, pounce, breath fresh air and they will never be mowed down by a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My cat has always been indoors since she was found as a kitten and we can leave door open and she won't go out. Take out her lead and harness and she meows with excitement to go for a walk. She doesn't like to go far though just a stroll around the lawn. She's only really been around dogs so not sure if that has anything to do with it

Pedigree cats come from generations of domesticated cats, indoor only domesticated cats . They are very different to moggies. My moggies will be found arse up in a bin scrounging for food, my peds wouldn't be bothered to do that.

Personally I have a 25ft x 30ft fully enclosed area for them which they haven't set foot in since last Sept, lazy sods.

Natural hunting skills can be encouraged, you don't have to leave a cat outside to do so. Also coons are lazy lumps lol.

I wouldn't home to an indoor/outdoor home because I've raised my babies from the start, hand fed them, minded mom etc etc so anything I can do to keep them safe I will amd a cat that is let outdoors has a shorter life span with the various dangers. I never let my dogs roam so I don't let my cats.

I hope op considers getting an indoor coon because it won't be regretted. :-)

You can provide climbing trees, scratch post, toys, feeding games. Play games like the da bird which is very similar to a flying bird. Cats sleep for around 18hrs a day, groom for up to 3 hrs, sit on the sofa or play with you for the rest. It's not a need for a.cat to go out and all the cats I've fostered,bred and ones that friends have had I can safely say maybe 5 out of hundreds have been wired to need the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just on the indoor/ outdoor thing too, if you live in a rural area and your cat is out wandering fields, coons can look quite similar in size to a fox in the distance depending on their colouring. An elderly friend of my parents lost one to a hunter thinking she was a fox :(

You can provide climbing trees, scratch post, toys, feeding games. Play games like the da bird which is very similar to a flying bird. Cats sleep for around 18hrs a day, groom for up to 3 hrs, sit on the sofa or play with you for the rest. It's not a need for a.cat to go out and all the cats I've fostered,bred and ones that friends have had I can safely say maybe 5 out of hundreds have been wired to need the outside.

Yes, that would entail some serious thought and consideration, well done to those WHO do that.
    I suspect there may be other indoor cat owners that may not 'be so considerate to the cat's needs!

Advertisement