Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G4560 - i3 performance at €75

Options
  • 15-01-2017 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

So is one of the more interesting developments recently in CPUs and offers excellent value to budget gamers.

Early benchmarks have Kaby Lake Pentiums on a similar footing in games to the i3-6100 due to the addition of hyper threading (until Kaby Lake, Pentiums were dual core without hyper-threading, which meant they were unsuitable for most AAA titles). Be interesting to see if the Ryzen line-up has anything to challenge this, hard to imagine to be honest.

Priced at £64.99 in most places, pair it with a cheap H110M board, GTX1050 and you have a rock solid budget gaming PC for small money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Be interesting to see if the Ryzen line-up has anything to challenge this, hard to imagine to be honest

Whether they can challenge or not it's still refreshing to see competition from AMD because you can be sure as **** that if AMD didn't bring something to the party Intel would continue to deny entry level processors hyper threading.

I hope ryzen has more up its sleeve than we're led to believe though because Intel only have to reduce prices to keep ahead of AMD, similarly Nvidia against Vega.

It's tough for AMD having to take on giants on both fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's HEVC support like? Looking at replacing my old AMD E350 based HTPC and a cheap-ish Intel based mini-ITX solution with H/W HEVC support would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (€59.85)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€66.01)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€56.02)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€71.90)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card (€179.90)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€44.58)
    Total: €478.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-17 16:18 CET+0100

Paired with a cheap case & mouse/keyboard, and you have Playstation 4 Pro*-busting performance for less than €550

*maybe even Xbox Scorpio

*edit*: B250 motherboard for DDR4-2400

Alun wrote: »
    What's HEVC support like? Looking at replacing my old AMD E350 based HTPC and a cheap-ish Intel based mini-ITX solution with H/W HEVC support would be ideal.

AFAIK it should support HEVC, same as the Core chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

How would this chip work for games like wow that are cpu dependent? Or would an i5 be a much better investment if the budge allows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Redfox25 wrote: »
    How would this chip work for games like wow that are cpu dependent? Or would an i5 be a much better investment if the budge allows.

Obviously an i5 is the best all around option if budget allows, but this is a third of the price and gives roughly about i3-4150 performance which is strong. Allows you to put far more money into the GPU in a budget rig and still get excellent framerates in general.

Comparitively, AMD's processor in this price range is the 860K, which is very significantly slower. It's the first time there's been a CPU capable of playing all the latest games at high framerates in this price bracket in a very long time.

Redfox25 wrote: »

About as well as an i3-6100

Shouldn't dip below 60fps often.
    i5 would be better of course, but the Pentium is ~€150 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (€70.94)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€52.12)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€56.02)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€71.90)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card (€179.90)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€44.58)
    Total: €475.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-16 11:39 CET+0100

Paired with a cheap case & mouse/keyboard, and you have Playstation 4 Pro*-busting performance for less than €550

*maybe even Xbox Scorpio

That's incredible to be fair, has PC gaming ever been this cheap?

IIRC the Scorpio computes at about 6TF, a 470 at 4.9TF so it's a bit weaker than Scorpio but even still, guaranteed cheaper with a bigger library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

He has 1k stg total (to include a monitor and kb) and he wants an i7 which I told him is total overkill.
    Thinking an i5 would be plentyful and either a 480 or the likes and the rest should be simple enough.

IIRC the Scorpio computes at about 6TF, a 470 at 4.9TF so it's a bit weaker than Scorpio but even still, guaranteed cheaper with a bigger library.

Updated the list with B250 motherboard for DDR4-2400 compatibility; also the G4560 is now listing on Mindfactory for an unbelievable €66!

• Advertisement

Review is up on ComputerBase (German)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Review is up on ComputerBase (German)

Is that benchmarked with a 980ti???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yes, the benchmarks were all performed on a 980TI as the numbers on the second page are the same (at a glance) as those on a page near the end: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/intel-pentium-g4560-test-kaby-lake/5/#diagramm-total-war-attila-mainstream-gpus-im-vergleich

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Yes, the benchmarks were all performed on a 980TI as the numbers on the second page are the same (at a glance) as those on a page near the end: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/intel-pentium-g4560-test-kaby-lake/5/#diagramm-total-war-attila-mainstream-gpus-im-vergleich

Some of those numbers look really strange. The last set of benches for Witcher with SLI 980ti at UHD resolution: 3770k, 6700k, and 4790k are almost exactly the same at 38.6 - 39 FPS, while 7600k and 7700k are at 55.5 GPS? 40% faster? But no difference between 3770k and 6700k?

I'm amazed at how CPU friendly TW3 even is. Even the usually extremely lacklustre A10 and 880K holding >60fps paired with a 980Ti.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not for a long time. Last time would have been almost a decade ago when everyone and their dog were OCing E5300's the old-fashoined way, and while the equivalent CPU, RAM, HDD and GPU of that time were all a bit cheaper its long enough ago to be a dubious enough comparison :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

I have an i5 4440 along with a GTX 960 2gb.
    Would I see much of a drop if I moved to the pentium.

I've been thinking about upgrading but this seems like a nice stepping stone into the new chipsets and then I go to a I3/5 later on ?

Graphics card is going to be updated as well to a 480 8gb some stage this year.

will56 wrote: »
    I have an i5 4440 along with a GTX 960 2gb.
    Would I see much of a drop if I moved to the pentium.

I've been thinking about upgrading but this seems like a nice stepping stone into the new chipsets and then I go to a I3/5 later on ?

Graphics card is going to be updated as well to a 480 8gb some stage this year.

I don't think it would be an upgrade - possibly even a downgrade (your i5 is 4 cores/4 threads, the G4560 is 2 cores / 4 threads).

Upgrade the GPU only - depending on when you do it, maybe there'll be a Vega GPU beyond the RX480.

It will be a significant downgrade in some games (Fallout 4/BF1/etc) but not in others (Witcher 3/Call of Duty/etc) but on the whole you have access to a brand new platform with much faster ram.

For me, coming from an i5-4440 you'd really want to be jumping to an i7-6700/7700 for it to make it a worthwhile upgrade. Haswell i5 to Skylake/Kabylake i5 just isn't worth it. You might consider upgrading to a 2nd hand i7-4770/4790/etc if you really want more CPU power.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Some of those numbers look really strange. The last set of benches for Witcher with SLI 980ti at UHD resolution: 3770k, 6700k, and 4790k are almost exactly the same at 38.6 - 39 FPS, while 7600k and 7700k are at 55.5 GPS? 40% faster? But no difference between 3770k and 6700k?

Could be a bad SLI profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

The AMD Athlon X4 was the cpu that AMD aimed at the lower end of the market.

With the launch of Ryzen we will now get a 7th Gen athlon, and you can see it in the line up below, sandwiched in between the APU's

Ryzen-Athlon.jpg

Let's hope that just like the Athlon X4 860K,, this new Athlon can also take on the new Pentiums and i3's ,, or maybe beat them on price with IPC close enough not to matter.

Just like the 860K? The 860K is light years behind Haswell and Skylake i3's in any CPU heavy games. Now that the G4560 is the same price as the 860K and destroys it, it makes it utterly obsolete and redundant.

Of course we're all hoping that Ryzen delivers but the 860K was a very poor CPU in my opinion - trailed way behind the i3 and there was no upgrade potential either, it ended at the 880K or whatever the fastest FM2 one was. The FX-6300 for €100 was/is a far superior processor.

Advertisement