Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a pharmacist look you up?

Options
  • 14-01-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've started on some medication that Id like to keep private that Im on.
    I know a person (quite gossipy and nosey) who is a pharmacist, and wondering can they type in my name and look me up? I get prescription filled ina a different pharmacy to where they work.
    Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

No for data protection reasons they can't. I know this because I have a DPS card and I had to get something from a pharmacy that wasn't my usual one. When I went to my usual one I asked could why they were charging me full price when I had already bought something from another pharmacy on the DPS scheme that month. I was told it was because they couldn't access any other pharmacies system not even within their own chain for privacy reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reassurance :-)

Am not on any scheme and just regular hop into any pharmacy.

Just thought if my name was in a system for receiving prescription medication, they might be able to look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Moocifer wrote: »
    No for data protection reasons they can't. I know this because I have a DPS card and I had to get something from a pharmacy that wasn't my usual one. When I went to my usual one I asked could why they were charging me full price when I had already bought something from another pharmacy on the DPS scheme that month. I was told it was because they couldn't access any other pharmacies system not even within their own chain for privacy reasons

you should receive a refund from the hse at some stage for the excess paid,I got a cheque for 2.50 once !

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Nope, I work in pharmacy and we can't look up other stores patients :)
    For her to go looking up your files would be a sacking offence anyway, and taken just as seriously as if a GP did it.

you should receive a refund from the hse at some stage for the excess paid,I got a cheque for 2.50 once !

For DPS you need to claim the refund yourself. Forms are available online, if you can't find them drop me a pm and I'll send you a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Pharmacists/ GPs used have access to the Central Treatment list for methadone prescribing due to the nature of the drug and it's potential for harm and abuse. I am unsure if this is still the case, I heard a rumour that it had stopped due to data protection and can't seem to find the pertinent information online, but I know it was the case until fairly recently. Other than that, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Slightly off topic, but these DPS slips I often get them when collecting perscriptions and never knew what I was supposed to do with them...

Save them and you can claim the costs back against your tax at the end of the year. You need to hold on to them for 6 years in case you get audited and have to send them in to the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Oh! Ive dumped 10 years worth so...

You can ask your pharmacy for a yearly printout of your spend, there's a specific report they can give you that works for the revenue office.
    You can claim back up to four years worth of spending.

• Advertisement
Advertisement