Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're a vegan..

Options
  • 14-01-2017 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

Question for you.

Do you drive an up-to-date clean energy sufficient car ?

I know four vegan's and they drive absolute banger's which are destroying the atmosphere.

Is this a contradiction ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The energy and materials used to make new cars don't come from thin air. Ditto shipping from halfway across the globe.

Not everyone is vegan for one specific reason like you seem to assume too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Question for you.

I know four vegan's and they drive absolute banger's which are destroying the atmosphere.

Animal agriculture is responsible for a larger proportion of greenhouse gases than all transportation combined. So switching to a vegan diet is more important than worrying about what car you drive.

To answer your actual question, I drive a fully electric Nissan Leaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its actually more environmentally friendly to drive an older car as the energy costs/environmental impact for producing a brand new car are higher than those of running the older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

No. People who decide to be vegan do it for their reasons not yours. THis borders on trolling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Environmentalism is a secondary reason to be vegan for most of us. As others have said there is a flaw with your thoughts anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Question for you.

Definition of Veganism...

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose." SRC:https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/definition-veganism

You may want to read up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm a vegan. But..... I have to say.... I do love my heated seats and leather upholstery. :)

Seeing as I didn't buy the car new, and therefore didn't order the leather, I'm consequently not directly responsible for any animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

But aren't most vegans vegan because of animal cruelty......? Not the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

To be honest I haven't really bought into any of that. I'm more following a vegan diet rather than a lifestyle. My primary animal concerns are for the animal staring back at me from the shaving mirror.

Though if could be argued that my systematic deprivation of cakes, sweets, chocolates, alcohol, burgers, mayonnaise, creme brulee, etc to that animal could be classed by many as a form of inhuman cruelty

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fat bloke wrote: »
    To be honest I haven't really bought into any of that. I'm more following a vegan diet rather than a lifestyle. My primary animal concerns are for the animal staring back at me from the shaving mirror.

Though if could be argued that my systematic deprivation of cakes, sweets, chocolates, alcohol, burgers, mayonnaise, creme brulee, etc to that animal could be classed by many as a form of inhuman cruelty

Plenty of vegan cakes, chocolate, alcohol, burgers and mayonnaise available. Even a few chippers with the latter two now.

My sister shares the view on the leather seats (albeit she's vegetarian) and Victoria Wood was known for saying she didn't mind cows being handbags but not her dinner. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 doire4mee

alroley wrote: »
    But aren't most vegans vegan because of animal cruelty......? Not the environment.

Completely agree! Way too many assumptions and over simplication of globalization.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

alroley wrote: »

Most vegans I know are vegans because of environmentalism. I don't know any vegans who are too concerned about animal cruelty.

Depends on the individual and their peers, I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah it would depend on your social circles, in general environmentalism reasons would be lower, for veganuary this year 60000 people signed up to be vegan for the month (and possibly continue after), about 10% was for environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I tend to view Veganism as a more holistic approach to living on the planet, so don't see environmentalism as any less or more importance as animal welfare.

It's the same reasoning that informs my views on religion (i.e. I'm a total atheist :D), as by reasoning that there is a higher power it can be inferred that there are lesser ones (i.e. all animals other than humans, and in a lot of cases the same reasoning is applied against other human animals depending on which particular stance of superiority is being taken).

Oh and our car is modern (with vegan car tyres), but I cycle everywhere as it's better for me and the planet :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not even Vegan, just plain old vegetarian, and I drive an electric car.

I do have a leather sofa at home, though. Because our cats scratched the fabric sofas to death, but leave leather alone.

Advertisement