Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog from pound - bits done ?

Options
  • 14-01-2017 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've put my name down for a little dog from the pound. It's time is up on Monday. Now my question is I have to presume that she never got any vaccinations so I'll have to start from scratch. Yes? As far as tubes tied will a vet know whether or not this is done before he opens her up? I'm sure it's a daft question . I've no clue . Do I bring her straight to a vet when I collect her ? Do they micro chip her ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm pretty sure there's free micro-chipping and neutering resources in Ireland and I'd hope that dogs from a pound are certainly eligible for this! Just going by what I've heard so hopefully someone else can clarify for sure! Great of you to be getting a dog from the pound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You can usually tell the likelyhood of a bitch that has been spayed by checking her vulva. In a spayed bitch it will have shrunk quite small. An entire bitch will always have a larger more fleshy one even when she is not in heat.

While nothing is 100% I would hope a vet could tell!

Unless the pound has vaccinated, I would have her done, I would also worm her & check for fleas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think you can assume that nothing will have been done with the dog, bar microchipping, as that's a legal requirement now for anyone passing on a dog to another owner. Some pounds have a strong rescue-linked background and won't release unneutered dogs, or arrange for you to do it at a subsidised price. Most don't though.
    As Knine says, a decent vet will have a fair idea of whether she's been spayed, but at the same time, may advise a "wait and see" approach just in case.
    Vaccinations-wise, the assumption has to be made that she's not done, and your vet will most likely start over. Ditto for flea/worm treatment. That said, a couple of pounds (the rescue-linked ones) will have all this done too.
    By all means, bring her to your vet, but there's no huge rush! The important thing is to give her a few days of quiet time, allowing her to dictate who she wants to seek out... Don't drown her with attention solicited from your side only. If she wants to hide under the table for a few days, let her... Everything at her own pace until you all have a better measure of one another.
    Best of luck with her now! Hopefully she'll make a great addition to your family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Definitely ask the folks when you collect her if shes been treated for fleas and worms, if they say not, I would buy one and just put it on her 'scruff' - just to be safe. I would also get a worm tablet at the same time - based on an estimate of her weight. Then you can take your time to schedule a vet visit when she is more comfortable/relaxed with you.
    Buy the best quality food you can afford. But as it will be a 'new' food, her tummy/bowel can be a bit off for the first few days.
    Wishing you very good luck with your new pet - and well done for rescuing a dog from the pound

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of my terriers was spayed 'twice'; they had to open her up to see if she was already done, but talk to your vet about it. And definitely assume that all vaccines will need to be redone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

cormie wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there's free micro-chipping and neutering resources in Ireland and I'd hope that dogs from a pound are certainly eligible for this! Just going by what I've heard so hopefully someone else can clarify for sure! Great of you to be getting a dog from the pound

What a wonderful country it would be if this was so...!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think the free microchipping schemes have dried up now since the microchipping law came in.

The only neutering scheme I know of is the reduced cost vouchers from a certain charity that are available from certain vets for people on certain social welfare payments. The pound won't have any records as the dog will have been picked up as a stray if it's doing its five days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Asked about it and this is what was text back to me:
    Blue irish cross run free clinic and mucrochip for free
    If person is like on social welfare etc basically has low income they get spay/ neuter for like 20 e or so
    But microchipping is only about 30 e anyways
    Spay neuter might be anywhere between 100-250 depending on gender and size of dog
    Blue irish cross is really good with support

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just a word to the wise, we rescued in July and were told "they think she's been spayed", turned out she's not, but is due in for it next week.
    Apparently, nowadays the scar can be so slight its hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

razorblunt wrote: »
    Just a word to the wise, we rescued in July and were told "they think she's been spayed", turned out she's not, but is due in for it next week.
    Apparently, nowadays the scar can be so slight its hard to tell.

In all fairness, it is not the scar you need to be looking at!

• Advertisement
Advertisement