Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k gaming question...

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Something has always bothered me about gaming in 4k.

Before I had a 4k screen I had 3 1080p monitors.

The advantage of a multi screen/higher resolution set up had always been touted as "letting you see more"for as long as I have been PC gaming (1997).

I'm going to use the Batman games as an example:

When I had 3 screens with a combined resolution of 5760x1080 I could see more of the environment. I could see things without having to turn and it was a more emersive environment.

Now with 4k, what I can't understand is how you have a 1080p perspective but just with sharper images.....

If I used 4 1080p monitors, stacked 2 by 2 top and bottom what would I end up with (not that I am planning to do that) would I have what I now get on 4k?

I would prefer to play the games the way I did on 3 1080p monitors and see more of the environment....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hello all,

Something has always bothered me about gaming in 4k.

Before I had a 4k screen I had 3 1080p monitors.

The advantage of a multi screen/higher resolution set up had always been touted as "letting you see more"for as long as I have been PC gaming (1997).

I'm going to use the Batman games as an example:

When I had 3 screens with a combined resolution of 5760x1080 I could see more of the environment. I could see things without having to turn and it was a more emersive environment.

Now with 4k, what I can't understand is how you have a 1080p perspective but just with sharper images.....

If I used 4 1080p monitors, stacked 2 by 2 top and bottom what would I end up with (not that I am planning to do that) would I have what I now get on 4k?

I would prefer to play the games the way I did on 3 1080p monitors and see more of the environment....

Well, that's why I went ultrawide over 4k. 3440x1440 has sharp enough image that I don't even bother with AA. I took extra usable screen estate and wider viewing angle over sharper image with massive taxation on hardware.

Just go with ultrawide if you liked 3 monitor setup. I had 3 monitor setup myself all the time and loved it. Now I am down to one ultrawide and will never go back to normal aspect ratio monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Well, that's why I went ultrawide over 4k. 3440x1440 has sharp enough image that I don't even bother with AA. I took extra usable screen estate and wider viewing angle over sharper image with massive taxation on hardware.

Just go with ultrawide if you liked 3 monitor setup. I had 3 monitor setup myself all the time and loved it. Now I am down to one ultrawide and will never go back to normal aspect ratio monitors.

Yep, you could be right about ultra wide. Hopefully it wont be too long until they do one with OLED, that would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I cant stand multi monitors for gaming, my version of the above is a the Acer 34inch 4k Monitor.

Multi monitors for work is excellent but it doesnt grab me for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Three 1080p monitors side by side in a multi-screen setup is a totally different resolution than 4K - it's ultra wide.

You can get ultrawide monitors handily in 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 resolution that will give you an image format like what you're looking for.

What's not to understand? It's exactly as you've described yourself - the same aspect ratio as 1080p just higher resolution, which = sharper image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Three 1080p monitors side by side in a multi-screen setup is a totally different resolution than 4K - it's ultra wide.

You can get ultrawide monitors handily in 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 resolution that will give you an image format like what you're looking for.

What's not to understand? It's exactly as you've described yourself - the same aspect ratio as 1080p just higher resolution, which = sharper image.

Yep, I understand how it works, it's essentially the same as scaling in Windows. Which is why I turn scaling off.

I guess I just want more real estate. In Photoshop I can now have 4 1080p images on the screen at once. In a game, well certain games, I want the scope of 4k like Photoshop or premier give.

I know I will end up getting an ultra wide eventually so it doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anywhere you can look at ultrawides in Dublin as I am debating whether to go 1440 27" or 34" UW?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ive a 34" LG curved ultrawide, i used to have 3x22" screens. Personally i wouldnt get smaller than a 34" ultrawide, even with 34" when im gaming i pull the screen forward 3-4 inches so it covers most of my peripheral vision( screen is 2 feet away normally ). A 38" would be perfect.

The other legit option is if you have a 32" 4K screen or higher rez, run it with black bars and higher FOV in game, although personally black bars annoy me.

Advertisement