Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for update on Limerick murder 2016 of Polish man

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

A former colleague of mine was murdered last year, his name was Michal Rejmer, and he was from Poland. I was just wondering if anybody has any information about the investigation into his murder.

I have been looking online, but there have been no updates since just after the crime occurred. A woman was arrested and charged in relation it the murder, but I just wondered if anyone might know of any developments.

He was a lovely man, and well-known for being a great runner. I understand he has no living family, as he was an only child and his parents had passed away.

Any information or updates you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Astrolabe wrote: »
    A former colleague of mine was murdered last year, his name was Michal Rejmer, and he was from Poland. I was just wondering if anybody has any information about the investigation into his murder.

I have been looking online, but there have been no updates since just after the crime occurred. A woman was arrested and charged in relation it the murder, but I just wondered if anyone might know of any developments.

He was a lovely man, and well-known for being a great runner. I understand he has no living family, as he was an only child and his parents had passed away.

Any information or updates you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Case is going to court next month so should be news about it then if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

Thanks so much - I really appreciate that! That's exactly what I was wondering, about when/if it was going to court. Usually, if a murder case is going to court, you'll find brief notifications about it in the papers, on google etc - but there seemed to be nothing that I could find on this.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The sentencing was today.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/246512/jailed-for-killing-ex-partner-at-home.html

I don't get it to be honest. The Judge was happy enough to accept a manslaughter plea, despite the facts pointing towards a straight-up murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

6 years is a ****ing joke of a sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

No such thing as murder in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Seems like a bizarre outcome.

"He said the court considered the offence to be midrange and he believed the appropriate sentence to be eight years but had taken the mitigating factors into consideration."

What does midrange mean from a legal standpoint? Did she only half murder him or something? Also, wonder what the mitigating factors were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

zulutango wrote: »
    Seems like a bizarre outcome.

"He said the court considered the offence to be midrange and he believed the appropriate sentence to be eight years but had taken the mitigating factors into consideration."

What does midrange mean from a legal standpoint? Did she only half murder him or something? Also, wonder what the mitigating factors were.

Bizzarre.

And if murder is midrange, what the fck would be considered in a higher range? Mass genocide?? What's that, ten years?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Most likely because she's a woman.
    If the roles were reversed you can be sure the sentence would have been longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Treepole wrote: »
    Most likely because she's a woman.
    If the roles were reversed you can be sure the sentence would have been longer.

I doubt it, she was charged with manslaughter not murder which is why the sentence was six years. Plenty of fellas have got similar sentences for manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Jofspring

"A serious row"

So in Ireland if you murder someone just plead not guilty and say it was a row so it's just manslaughter. Their life is ended and you are out in 6 years.

Why such a fear in this country to hand down serious sentences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

roast wrote: »
    The sentencing was today.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/246512/jailed-for-killing-ex-partner-at-home.html

I don't get it to be honest. The Judge was happy enough to accept a manslaughter plea, despite the facts pointing towards a straight-up murder.

It was not that the Judge was happy to accept a plea it was a decision of the Jury "She was found not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter by a majority jury verdict in February."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/woman-who-killed-housemate-jailed-for-six-years-1.3059583

Jofspring wrote: »
    "A serious row"

So in Ireland if you murder someone just plead not guilty and say it was a row so it's just manslaughter. Their life is ended and you are out in 6 years.

Why such a fear in this country to hand down serious sentences?

After hearing all the evidence in Court that was the decision of a Jury. The Judge has to sentence according to the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

she was charged with murder first,, after she stabbed him it took over a hour for him to bleed to death all this time she didnt seek help and then half buried his body like rubbish, as quiet rightly stated if this was a women murdered in this way , rte and other media would be all over this case, look at the sentence handed down to another women other day for glassing a women in the face which left the women needing 24 stitches she got a suspended sentence, THIS was a DOMESTIC ABUSE MURDER of a man. look at our justice system, every position is a women mostly put in place by the national womens council justice minster , garda commissioner a women, assastant garda commissioner a women,DPP a women, AG a women,chief justice a women, justice minister a women,state pathologist a women, assistant state pathologist a women , chair of guarda board a women ,, and remember this is a government that brought in gender quotas pushed by female justice minister

yammagamma wrote: »
    she was charged with murder first,, after she stabbed him it took over a hour for him to bleed to death all this time she didnt seek help and then half buried his body like rubbish, as quiet rightly stated if this was a women murdered in this way , rte and other media would be all over this case, look at the sentence handed down to another women other day for glassing a women in the face which left the women needing 24 stitches she got a suspended sentence, THIS was a DOMESTIC ABUSE MURDER of a man. look at our justice system, every position is a women mostly put in place by the national womens council justice minster , garda commissioner a women, assastant garda commissioner a women,DPP a women, AG a women,chief justice a women, justice minister a women,state pathologist a women, assistant state pathologist a women , chair of guarda board a women ,, and remember this is a government that brought in gender quotas pushed by female justice minister

But it was a jury that decided the verdict, are you saying the Jury by law was 12 women or in fact was just 12 women. Did you sit through the trial.

As you said a Female Justice minister was in charge of AGS who investigated the crime and got the evidence to bring a murder charge to court. A female DPP sought a guilty verdict to Murder, a female state pathologist gave evidence i must assume to support a murder charge.

BTW "On Tuesday, a jury of six men and six women found Matracka not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter by a majority verdict of 11-1."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/woman-found-not-guilty-of-her-housemate-s-murder-1.2984121

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I doubt it, she was charged with manslaughter not murder which is why the sentence was six years. Plenty of fellas have got similar sentences for manslaughter.
    She owed him money, so she stabbed him multiple times, and then tried to hide the body. This doesn't sound like a victim; it sounds like someone trying to hide the fact that they just killed someone over money.

She claimed it was "self defence". If it were a man doing the killing, he would have been charged with murder. But because she was a woman, manslaughter.

the_syco wrote: »
    She owed him money, so she stabbed him multiple times, and then tried to hide the body. This doesn't sound like a victim; it sounds like someone trying to hide the fact that they just killed someone over money.

She claimed it was "self defence". If it were a man doing the killing, he would have been charged with murder. But because she was a woman, manslaughter.

She was charged with murder, she was tried for murder, the trial ran for murder. The Jury decided after hearing the evidence that she was not guilty of murder, by 11-1 but guilty of manslaughter. The Jury was 6 men and 6 women. So 11 people who heard all the evidence believed she was not guilty of murder, what did you see during the trial that made you think the 11 people got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

what did you see during the trial that made you think the 11 people got it wrong.
    I didn't see the trial. I'm wondering how someone can stab someone else multiple times, hide the body, and get away so lightly.

the_syco wrote: »
    I didn't see the trial. I'm wondering how someone can stab someone else multiple times, hide the body, and get away so lightly.

Ask the jury. They heard days of evidence and decided 11-1 that it was not murder.

Advertisement